Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur01

Peonies for the beginner/just to try

maifleur01
15 years ago

This is my annual message. Start looking at the box stores, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart etc, for low cost peonies to try before you start investing or higher priced plants. The stores start putting out the roots just after the first of the year.

Lowe's has had tree peony grafts in 2 to 4 inch boxes for several years. There is generally a label inside the filler or wrapped arround the stem. If you take out of a box to look be certain to put back in the correct one. Last year Walmart had a one tree peony but several herbaceous.

I don't use Home Depot because the stores near me are dirty and do not take care of any of their plants but look any way.

There are several regional stores which I don't know of the also carry peonies. On tree peonies look for nice buds and plant deeper than the instructions state. On regular peonies check for buds and heavier roots. Heavier roots normally have more nutriants. Plant as soon as you can get in the ground.

Remember "Buyer beware" these are peonies that may or may not live for you. These are a low cost method to see if the peonies will live for you and that you actually like them before you purchase from a real nursery for planting at the correct time of the year, fall.

Happy peonies.

Comments (3)