Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveinohio_2007

tp seeds germinating

daveinohio_2007
14 years ago

tp seeds collected last fall are starting to germinate: several pink double X Guardian of Monastery.

These should maybe bloom in 2015!

Anyone else getting germination?

Comments (13)

• minotpeonies
    14 years ago

I just ordered some tree peony seed from APS seed sale they have many Chinese Flare Mudan and Jap.Tree peony seeds,you have to be member to order but great deal per pack.I ordered last year and got many tree peony seeds to grow.

• peonyman
    14 years ago

Dave,

I have not really checked mine to see if they are germinating. I have them planted in pots and I can only assume that some of them have primary germination (root growth) and I hope with the cold winter they are beginning to develop a bud to send up in the spring. I fear that if I try to check them I may break the root. I have never seemed to decide what germination is. Do you consider the seed to have germinated when you get initial root growth or when secondary germination creates a bud?

The last several years I have bagged seeds in peat moss. Then you can see the initial root growth. It is not nearly as exciting when I plant them in pots but I am hoping for better results.

Leon

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

A reminder that you must have faith that the seeds will germinate. I was trying to find something and came across a baggie that I had tried to sprout seeds two years ago. As I was starting to throw it out I found one seed that was just sending out a nice fat root. It is now in a pot.

Not all seeds will send out roots the first year but will in subsequent years. I would suggest that you any seeds that do not sprout be held over. Either separate or in a mixed pot of non germinating seeds.

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Leon,
    My seeds produce roots (primary germination)in November in the basement; sprouted seeds are then put into small pots and put into frig; top growth (secondary germination) occurs in January-February. Plants are then grown under fluorescent lights.
    Don Smith's website says that he grows his intersectional seedlings under lights for their first 2 (3?) years. What is your procedure?

Maifleur: About 33-50% of seeds germinate within several months of collection; the remainder will be sown outside in the spring; some may germinate in 2011, as you say.

• minotpeonies
    14 years ago

From what I have read it helps if seeds are in a location of 70 degrees to 85 degrees for root germination.I found it much easier once transfered to refrigerator to have them in plastic sandwich bag so I can check them monthly and when shoots are about inch long I pot them.I have found if the shoot is too short the plant will die.Any left over seed after 8 months I plant in the ground.
    I saw about 95 percent germination with Tree Peonies and about 65 percent on herb. peonies some be very erratic.I do believe the key is the temperature for even germination.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Since many of the members are just starting to try growing their own any tibits of information that you can pass along will be appreciated. Although the three of you know what you are doing could you put any additional information such as my comment about sprouting time for seeds in your posts.

• peonyman
    14 years ago

Dave,

I wont give a detailed description of my seed germination proceedure I have used in the past. For several years I have bagged in peat moss, held them warm until root development, then refrigerate and I have really had mixed results from year to year. It seems my best results have been from seed that were sown in the garden at the base of the pod parent. The natural seasonal changes seem to do better than my artificially trying to mimic seasonal changes indoors.

So, my new proceedure starting this past fall is to pot the seeds into 2 gallon pots and hold them outdoors until the weatherman says there is a freeze ahead and store them in a cold unheated garage through the winter and get them outdoors early so they will come up in the sunshine(I hope). I can't make any warranties that this will work but I hope I get results that are more consistently successful.

I am using 2 gallon containers due to my problem of smaller pots drying out, I don't have to water nearly as often.

Leon

• minotpeonies
    14 years ago

It really can vary as far as sprouting time some may statrt to germinate in as little as six weeks while other may not germinate for a year or two.Most will put out roots within 3-6 months.Make sure you wait until the root has developed aroung 2inch-5inches before you move to the frig.Also cleaning the seeds in a 1part bleach to 10 parts water will help to kill any bacteria so they don't get moldy.Another key note is to make sure the medium is moist not soaking wet because this will cause rot.
    Once your seeds are bagged and put in refrigerator it will usally take 3 month for them to put out shoot.Some will take longer so I go through the bags about every 2-3 weeks after three months and pot up the ones that have long shoots.You don't want to plant the too deep usually the shoot is planted just below the soil level depending how long it is.(the longer the deeper)
    now one problem I encounter while doing indoor germination is I have plants that have been potted for three months and are under grow lights all winter because they germinated later than others.Also it is important to not put young seedlings in hot sunny location all day once planted out.the foliage is some what tender and can burn.they will do well in morning sun with some afternoon shade.after a couple of years they may be transfered to full sun location.
    A great book that helped me was one from the American Peony Society called the Best of 75 years which contains many great notes from A.P Saunders and articles from Don Hollingsworth.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for posting. One of our plants are ready setting seed pods. I'm interested in collecting seeds and growing seedlings although it sounds tricky.
    After reading the thread, so basically
    1. primary germination in peat moss bag room temparature or 70-85
    2. chilling in clear bag (wihout moss?) in refrigirator
    3. put in pots and grow

does that sound correct? how do I decide whether the seeds are ready to collect?

thank you

Changsong

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Changsong,
    You've got it, although your step 1 at 70-85 deg might be a bit warm; my seeds are held at 55-60 deg F.
    Collect seeds as soon as pods split open, and put seeds into moist peat right away.
    After a couple of months at 55-60 deg, roots will sprout;
    when roots get 1-11/2 incg long, put sprouted seed into small pot filled with equal parts potting soil and perlite;
    put pot in baggie in frig.
    After a couple more monts, top growth will appear; remove from frig and grow under fluor light until big enough to move outside.
    Above is my procedure - every one has own wayGood Luck!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    13 years ago

Dave: That was very clear instruction. Thank you very much! Changsong

• kaib
    13 years ago

Another anecdote, but...

We have had success by planting seeds directly in one gallon pots (sandy loamy mix) and simply inserting the pots into ths sides of raised bed gardens in the early fall.

They get watered as the gardens need water, and then mulched well after the first real freeze. Left out during the winter, the mulch comes off in the spring and the pots are treated as an integral part of the garden during that summer.

By the second spring, seedlings are up. That fall, they would normally be transplanted into the garden, but hold well in 16" pots.

• minotpeonies
    13 years ago

I found that vermiculite may be better than the spag.moss because the moss hold to much moisture and tends to make the seeds rot.So I transfered all of my seeds to vermiculite.also when seeds are collected soak in 10 percent solution of bleach water then rinse them with fresh water prior to bagging.this kills and bacteria on the seeds.
    Last year I potted all my seeds in Pro-mix and this worked really well,but because they germinate at uneven times finding black/brown seeds that hadn't germinated when seperating was a lot of work and will be much easier to divide those which need to be put in the refrigirator.
    After trial and error of one year it becomes much easier than it initally seems.Just make sure they don't dry out and they will rot if too wet.

Sponsored