Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveinohio_2007

tree peony germinations

daveinohio_2007
15 years ago

Three of last fall's tp seeds have germinated (top growth) so far: these are now growing in basement under fluor light.

Comments (5)

• bigshoes213
    15 years ago

That is great! Mine are still germinating. It has been a year now. Good news my clematis just sprouted after a year. I say my chances are slim on not killing it. Do you have any good advice on getting the tree peony to germinate?

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bigshoes: are your tp seeds now in refrigerator?

• bigshoes213
    15 years ago

they were in the fridge last year for 3 or 4 months then taken out. I moved about 6 months ago and they have been outside in a shed with windows where my other plants are hanging out for the winter. So they have been kept cool for the last couple of months. I have given up hope on them but i just cant seem to throw them away. They are kept moist.

• homemommy
    15 years ago

A few years ago, I recovered some tree peony seeds at a local park. I got them all to sprout, but... they would not shake off the seed coating and all died. They looked kind of funny, like seeds on stems!

What did I do wrong?

• daveinohio_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your seeds had produced roots. You should have then potted them and put them in your refrigerator for 1-3 months. The part of the root near the seed swells, then splits open, and the top growth emerges from this split. When top growth appears, remove from frig. Yes, the seed ends up being an appendage sticking out from the side of the seedling. Very Peculiar!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor