Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tree peony germinations

Posted by daveinohio_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 15, 09 at 21:23

Three of last fall's tp seeds have germinated (top growth) so far: these are now growing in basement under fluor light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tree peony germinations

That is great! Mine are still germinating. It has been a year now. Good news my clematis just sprouted after a year. I say my chances are slim on not killing it. Do you have any good advice on getting the tree peony to germinate?

o

Bigshoes: are your tp seeds now in refrigerator?

o

they were in the fridge last year for 3 or 4 months then taken out. I moved about 6 months ago and they have been outside in a shed with windows where my other plants are hanging out for the winter. So they have been kept cool for the last couple of months. I have given up hope on them but i just cant seem to throw them away. They are kept moist.

o

A few years ago, I recovered some tree peony seeds at a local park. I got them all to sprout, but... they would not shake off the seed coating and all died. They looked kind of funny, like seeds on stems!

What did I do wrong?

o

Your seeds had produced roots. You should have then potted them and put them in your refrigerator for 1-3 months. The part of the root near the seed swells, then splits open, and the top growth emerges from this split. When top growth appears, remove from frig. Yes, the seed ends up being an appendage sticking out from the side of the seedling. Very Peculiar!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here