Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
great cold peony weather!!

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 6, 07 at 21:38

Recent temps down to 12 degrees at night occasionally & 21 inches of snow in two weeks here in Albuquerque zone 7.... should be great for peonies, rhubarb & apples the coming summer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: great cold peony weather!!

Sounds great, on another site people are reporting that the weather is so strange that parts of Canada are were not frozen a week ago. I have given some peony plants to some one living in Penasco with instructions to give me a report on how they grow. Do you have any friends that live 7000 or higher that grow peonies. I would like to find out a timetable for where they are planted, when they come up, and a thousand other questions.

o
RE: great cold peony weather!!

Peasco, New Mexico? Very pretty place north of here! I suspect Santa Fe also must be around 7000 feet & I've read of people that grow peonies there. I come from far NE Iowa & my grandmother had dozens of peony plants (my VERY favorite!) that must have been over 50 years old ... only thing I remember her doing was always throwing her dishwater out on them & only them! I had bad luck the first few tries here both full sun & shade but I must have found one spot 'in between' for they have done beautifully ever since there. Only sad part is that in this dry climate the wonderful fragrance just isn't the same as I remember back in Iowa nor in the lilacs either. Maybe I can find someone in SF that can tell you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here