Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinamary_gw

Finding peonies suitable for warmer areas

carolinamary
14 years ago

On Friday, Aug. 28, 2009 funione wrote in the thread "Help me choose tree peonies for Austin, TX":

"I was reviewing this older string as I have similar questions as a Newbie and blackangus is only 60 miles south of me. I grew up in SE Oklahoma where folks had lots of peonies. I have always been told they won't grow here. I had been told the same about azaleas, camelias and gardenias, but I have great luck with those, so I purchased an ITOH peony (First Arrival) this spring. I am trying to find a Bartzella. The photos are beautiful, but I am not sure how to provide basic care. The First Arrival grew about 10" this spring. It looks a little bad right now. I would like to know the basics for the care of both tree and ITOH peonies. I understand ITOHs are supposed to be "sturdier" than either herbaceous or tree. Or, should I have chosen a tree type? I am also interested and following the info everyone is giving blackangus about tree peonies."

Funione, I am another person new to peonies and only recently discovered this Garden Web peony site. I'm suprised that no one with lots of knowledge has responded to you in all this time, but I think I might know just enough to give some tiny bit of help. This is precisely the kind of information I was looking for when deciding to place an order for our very first peonies last fall.

First, you might want to buy a book just to give yourself a place to look up things and to help learn about care and cultivation. This book didn't have information on as many varieties as I'd wish, and it didn't have a list of peonies for warm areas, but it's a very good book: "The Gardener's Peony" by Martin Page.

There's also a website where they are trying to get people to contribute their own experiences with roses/clematis/peonies. All peony gardeners, if they would contribute their own personal experiences in growing a particular peony variety, would help others and would benefit themselves when trying to lookup information about an unfamiliar variety and looking for the locations where it might work. The site is free, except for a few features that you need to subscribe to get ($25).

I'm hoping the HelpMeFind website gets better noticed and that peony lovers start contributing to it in the ways that rose lovers are. There have been more contributions for roses there so far, and that part of the website is extraordinarily helpful--better even than my best rose book because I can see where people live who are posting their experiences, both good and bad, with any particular variety of rose. I'm hoping the same thing can happen for peonies. If you only grow a single peony, it would be extremely helpful to contribute your experiences with it at the HelpMeFind website. These are ordinary folks running this site; they're not trying to get rich, but to provide a service that they themselves once wished for in gardening.

Everywhere I looked for peonies, the standard advice was to buy peonies that bloom early if you're looking for something that might work in fairly warm areas of the country. I'm assuming that that advice must be mostly correct.

The place I ordered peonies from was www.terraceiafarms.com. I ordered some other bulbs too, in a large quantity. Everything I got there was top quality, enough of a top quality that I wondered whether perhaps it was especially related to the fact that my order was placed early, really early, and perhaps they send out their best stuff first?

The odd thing is that none of the five peony varieties I ordered is supposed to be an early bloomer.

Anyway, if you go to their website you can see that they are located and grow their plants in North Carolina, in zone 8 here, I think. And another vendor with the same varieties was located somewhere in Georgia. So if you decide you're interested in regular peonies, not just tree peonies or ITOH varieties, you can make a tiny list of varieties good for the South by visiting that website. They don't sell ITOH or tree peonies.

To try to find additional Southern varieties, I just went to www.waysidegardens.com and they sell six peonies, three of which are ITOH. They mention that the other varieties there will work for the South too. Since they are located in South Carolina, they ought to know what will grow there? Still, one of their selections, Peony 'Bowl of Cream' happens to be a late-blooming variety. So I really do wonder about that "plant early-bloomers" rule for Southerners.

I found a Bartzella today at www.songsparrow.com. If you search on that variety at www.helpmefind.com, and then click on the far right tab at the top of the page that says "Buy From" they give two other possible nursery sources too.

That's as much as I know. Maybe someone in the South who knows a lot would post a nice long list of varieties proven for the South? I'll bet we aren't the only ones wishing for such a list!

Best wishes,

Mary

I'm enclosing a HelpMeFind peony search page link. To switch to roses or clematis, look up to the left and pull down from the menu under "Name Search."

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind peony search

Comments (10)

• maifleur01
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't remember the original posting but to find types for the south just do a search for "peonies for the south". There are several. Intersectionals, Itohs are slow growers the first year or so, for top growth. They do grow many roots during that time so need to be divided frequently. There are several wholesale growers in the carolina's a search will give you names. Don Hollingsworth's site and other growers mention peonies that do well in the southern portions. Although I know of no growers providing mediteranian sp cultivars in this country there are several in Franch and Italy, but you will need an importers permit.

Do searches for what you are looking for. You will find more information than your brain can take in at once. I am not trying to put off your questions but many have already been covered on this thread and will probably refer back to here.

• carolinamary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maifleur, thanks so much for this suggestion. The search pulled up two good posts, with the search term as the subject line for one of them. Your memory is better than you thought! Anyway, they were very helpful, and eventually I'll pull all the names out into a long list of possibilities. But for now, and just to make it easy for someone else, I'm copying one of the resources mentioned into a link below, an Auburn University list. It lists 26 different varieties.

Best wishes,
    Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Peonies Doing Well in Mid- to South Alabama

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Several of those on the list are tree peonies. When Golden Port moved offices out of the South they gave Auburn a collection of peonies that they had imported to this country. The stipulation was that they be distributed in parks and gardens in Alabama and studied. While the company was in business their website listed many very nice peonies that were for sale. I never purchased from them but have hear from others that they were nice.

Here is a site that you can look them up by either their ethnic or english name. Use the alphabet area First and Second letter in peony's name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carsten's list of goodies

• carolinamary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maifleur, your goodie list IS a goodie! THANK YOU!

I am fooling around with camellia plans right now, but will have a lot of interesting lookups to do with all your information on the (many) peonies I might be able to use here. Thanks so much for your trouble!

Best wishes,
    Mary

P. S. I like your homepage description. :)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

Maybe this posting is a bit too late, but I have noticed over the years that Felix Maxima is sometimes described as a good "southern" peony.

It's a classic peony--white with a few red flicks on it. Very good bloomer. I have 4 of them.

Good luck in your search.

Kate

• carolinamary
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kate,

We have three of Festiva Maxima, but they were just planted last October, so I've not seen them bloom yet. We ordered that one and three other varieties--Edulus, Jules Elie, and Shirley Temple--from a large bulb nursery in North Carolina that's a zone warmer than it is here, so they must be well-suited to heat! (The place is the www.terraceiafarms.com/.) The others they carry are Felix Supreme, Karl Rosenfeld, and Sarah Bernhardt. (I'm assuming that the one they call "Edulus" is the same as the variety that's usually called Edulus Superba.) I've seen Sarah Bernhardt before and it looks wonderful, but hesitated on that one because a peony book I have recommends skipping it because it has to have support when blooming. Anyway, we're just getting started with peonies and it looks as if there are a good many that will work in zone 7.

If the winters continued being so cold as this past winter, we could probably grow lots and lots more peony varieties... but I'm supposing that we'll be back to warm winters and droughts soon enough. Our camellias loved the rainy weather and unbroken chill of this past winter, and have done the very best they've ever done.

Thanks very much for posting, Kate!

Best wishes,
    Mary

• hdgrdnr_lilann
    14 years ago

I live in Florida, Citrus County, Zone 8B-9A, and bought some tree peonies last year. I planted them out in my garden last fall and all are doing well now. Those that have flowered this month are Tamisudare, Taiyo, Black Pirate and Kansas.
    Richard

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

If your Kansas is indeed a tree peony you have gotten your hands on a good one. There was a company that sold a tree peony before WWII renamed it, can not find new name. Then went out of business. Bernard Chow also has one of Bill Siedl's seedlings which is now called Kansas Orange rather than Kansas.

If you ordered it and it is a tree peony could you post where you ordered it from.

• hdgrdnr_lilann
    14 years ago

The tag on the plant says it came from Nature Hills Nursery. I bought it last spring (2009). I don't have a picture of it, as it bloomed just as I was leaving for vacation and it was finished when I came back but it was a dark purple or fuschia color.
    Richard

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

In that case your Kansas is the herbaceous peony by Bigger. You should enjoy it for many years to come.