Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peony hardiness

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 0:20

im in zone 7b/8a.

never had peonies before. i bought one a couple weeks ago. its in a pot and at first it was doing ok but now it looks like its dying.

are peonies perennials? how big do they get? does it need light or shade? please help! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peony hardiness

If you have a lot of peat moss in there or the soil is not well draining, then that might be the cause of decline. I really doubt any kind of peony would have troubles with hardiness even if it is in a pot in your climate.

Some peonies will die back every year, while some types will grow a shrub or small tree. They also do better in full sun however blooms usually last longer when there is shade.

o

What kind of peony did you buy?

o

Here are some of my 2nd year tree peony seedlings looking fine right after a pretty cold winter which bottomed out at 2F with many days in the single digits. They are definitely hardy enough for my climate as they are coming out unfazed after a very long winter which still doesn't seem to be ending.

Peonies are very hardy as long as they are completely dormant, or when the buds are still red.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd year tree peony seedlings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here