Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brad9213

Peonies in Zone 8

Brad9213
10 years ago

Hello,

I recently joined this forum, and was recommended here to see about potentially planting some Peonies this fall, but before I decide to spend quite a bit of money on a few different types of these, I was wondering if anyone near me, or in a similar climate, has had or heard of success growing these.

I am in Central, TX, Zone 8.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Here is a website that discusses growing peonies in warm zone such as TX and CA.

http://crickethillgarden.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/growing-peonies-in-usda-zones-8-and-9/

This post was edited by kousa on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 11:16

• littlebin
    10 years ago

There is a blog from Cricket Hill gardens about growing peonis in Zone 8 and 9.

It is said in Dallas, TX:
    "Growers have had success with all types of peonies, tree, herbaceous and intersectional."

"Herbaceous peonies do not pose any special challenges and are widely grown in this area."

"Its best to plant peonies in warmer climates so that they receive a little protection against very hot summer afternoon sun. As we recommend for all planting zones, morning sun and afternoon shade is ideal. If this is not possible, than plant peonies near a large shrub so that they are afforded a little protection from the very hot sun."

"In spring and summer, at least two deep waterings a week with supplemental drinks in between as necessary. This is doubly important for newly planted peonies."

"Remove any remaining tree peony leaves in the beginning of November. For herbaceous peonies, cut foliage to the ground at this time as well."

"When planting herbaceous peonies make sure that the âÂÂeyesâ or buds are basically at the surface with only a very lite layer of soil or mulch covering them."

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Peonies in USDA Zones 8 and 9

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

They're growing well at some of the historic houses in my home town, Jefferson Texas. I actually bought a couple last year that would probably do better in a warmer climate with temperate springs than here in Colorado, Blonde Vision and Coral Scout. Both descriptions stated that they did better where there wasn't freezing weather after they start to emerge in the spring.

My mother claims a lady in Marshall Texas had a tree peony that was at least 15 feet tall. I never saw that one, don't know if it was a fish tale or not.....

You will certainly want to plant them shallow, regardless of the variety for herbaceous or Itoh. I'd start with a couple of those if I were you--instant gratification the following spring. Or if they sell them potted and blooming in your area you can enjoy the blooms this spring, place them in a shadier location as it heats up and keep them watered then plant them out in the fall.

There are several on-line sources for herbaceous and Itohs that sell roots large enough to bloom the spring following planting. The URL I attached is for Fina Gardens. There is a post from last fall in this forum that showed the size of various roots from different sources--Fina easily was the largest I received from probably 6-8 different sources that season. They only ship in the fall but have a sale going on now through the end of March for 10% off.

Still a good idea to plant any grafted tree peony deeper to keep the herbaceous root from sprouting. There are some truly amazing tree peonies out there but they do grow a bit slower so probably wouldn't be able to enjoy the blooms for a few years unless you went very big (read expensive!) with your initial purchase. If you're interested in tree peonies you might want to post again asking for sources, all of mine are tiny and probably won't bloom for 4-5 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fina Peonies

• gardenper
    10 years ago

I had read something that Zone 8 would do well with early-blooming peonies, but at the local stores, I see peonies with early, mid, and late blooming specs.

There are too many conditions that could kill a plant, including its location in the Texas sun during the hot summer, so it'll be hard to describe if the peonies will work for you or not in the location you are thinking about.

I can recommend, though, that it's not exactly mandatory to plant only in the fall. I would suggest that you can get the peonies now, and let them establish themselves during this growing year (knowing that you may not get flowers this year).

Although it's bad to lose money on a purchase but sometimes it is necessary to know if a particular spot could work or not. For that, you might consider planting in a pot also and moving it around if you need to (or what I have done is to get several bare roots and plant some in pots, some in ground where I am thinking they should be OK, and use all my knowledge and care to see how each can grow)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hi Brad,

I'm in Zone 9B and I'm trying some Itohs. I just bought two plants last week so I can't tell you how they will do here.

I was told that my only hope is the Itohs because they don't need as many chill hours. I guess time will tell.

Keep us posted if you decide to try. :)

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

A member on Dave's Garden peony forum shares this website- link to an article that has a listing of peonies that grow well in mid and south Alabama.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peonies in the south project

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler