Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haveatry2

Need help for tree peony seedling

haveatry2
16 years ago

Last year, I got several tree peony seeds from a friend. According to the instructions got from the web, I planted those seeds in sand, after roots show, soaked in GA3 solution to make it sprout, and re-planted in sand.After two months, nearly all of those seeds sprout, it is really exciting. So far so great.Then I met the problem.

In the first several days, those seedlings grew very fast. Some of them were even 15-20cm higher after half a mounth,nearly twice as high as normal tree peony seedlings in the first year.Anyway, it is acceptable if the leafs spread normally. But nearly all of those seedlings faild in this. Below are several pictures.

Firt one:

One month after sprout.15 cm high.

{{gwi:1133096}}
Same one,two months after sprout.18cm high,the leaf is 2-3 cm long.

{{gwi:1133097}}

Another one:

20 days after sprout, 9 cm high.

{{gwi:1133099}}
two months after sprout, 10 cm high, something wrong with the leaf.

{{gwi:1133101}}
At the same time, the second leaf bud at the axil of the first leaf.very small, 3mm.

{{gwi:1133102}}

The other seedlings look alike, most of them have the same problem of leaf spreading.I am wondering if someone could give me some advice on these?

Now, it is still winter here, outside temperature is below freezing point. These seedlings are put in the warm enclosed balcony, the temperature is about 15 Celsius degree, with humidity of 60%. The illumination is not very good, but it is okay.

Some one said the leaf problem might come from high temperature. Before I moved this seedling to balcony,they are in the room and the temperature was 22 Celsius degree. So I moved them to the balcony, cooler than the room.

Some one said, it might be the illumination. Then,I bought a 65W energy-saving lamp to supply supplementary lighting 5 hours per day.

or it might two much fertilizer in the soil?

I don't know, 1 months after these changes, it seems nothing changed. Can anyone help?

Comments (4)

• ralfsmom
    16 years ago

don't use ga-3,it will cause sprout death.i put the seeds in a ziplock bag with moist NOT WET sphagum moss,the light brown fluffy stuff. label and mark date. put on shelf for 3 months warm in house. in 3 months thew seeds will put out roots.then put bags in lettuce keepers in frig for 3 months. take out and plant in 4" wide and deep pots.grow in these for 1st yr. shelter in cold frame 1st winter.next spring put in nursery bed. the seed that didn't sprout the 1st time put through the warm/cold cycle again.delores

• daveinohio_2007
    16 years ago

haveatry,
    Nice photos.
    It sounds like your seedlings are growing in sand? My growing medium is a 1:1 mix of seed starter and perlite.
    Maybe you should transplant some seedlings into such a mix and see if growth improves.
    Add no fertilizer: ammonia-base fertilizers are often lethal to seedlings. Been there, done that.

• haveatry2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To ralfsmom:
    Thanks for your answer. I think GA-3 is now widely accepted in tree peony seeding in China to get large amount of seedlings in short term. I read many related papers mention that, but it also said, a warm and cold cycle as you said could have stronger seedlings, though the sprout cycle is two times longer.
    The seed with treatment of GA-3 could sprout earlier,but maybe too weak to carry through environment change,such as temperature,humidity, light and so on.

• haveatry2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To daveinohio_2007:
    Sorry,hope this time is more clear. Those seedlings are now planted in normal soils after sprout, not in sand. I also have 8 adult tree peonies, so I use the same soil to grow these seedlings.Before sprout, they were in sand.
    I guess, the reason might be the fertilizer. Maybe the fertilizer concentration in the soil is too high for those seedlings.
    In the last week, I watered the pots frequently, hoped to water the fertilizer concentration down. But it seemed nothing changed. Should I change the soil?
    Maybe, I should be patient, wait and see the nature wonder.