Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I wish I had the room for Gauguin!

Posted by iowa_jade 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 9, 07 at 10:25

Perhaps I will get lucky and something will die or something. It took me for ever to kill Festiva Maxima.

Does any one have Gauguin and how do you like it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gauguin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I wish I had the room for Gauguin!

I'm sure Gauguin has it's virtues, but if I were you I'd get another festiva. It's my all time favorite peony, although rockii is a close second.

o

That picture does not do it justice. However like a lot of this type of bloom each flower will be slightly different.
Daphnis has many wonderful plants to his credit. Although I think I prefer Bill Siedl's tp's but you can only import from Austrialia for now.

o

I know Gauguin is a lutea hybrid but I can find no mention of scent in the descriptions. I guess an artist like Daphnis would primarily be interested in color. Does Gauguin have any detectable fragrance?

o

I still have two Festiva Maximas. Hey that is an idea!

I moved and divided an old clump and the tubers that I missed just kept coming and coming.

One of the things that interested me in Gauguin was the changing color aspect. Fragrance would be a plus! Thanks for your imput!

o

Gauguin has a very light fragrance which is nice because the blooms are definately a stick your nose in type. If you can purchase one this spring cheap buy it but in the meantime check out your local display gardens and parks. Many now have added tree peonies to their collections and Gauguin is one many have added to their collections. With the garden shows starting you may find blooming plants in the displays.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here