Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olgaflowers

Peony : Etched Salmon

olgaflowers
15 years ago

I am looking for a Peony very similar to etched Salmon

It is still to pricey for Me, so would like one close enough.

Olga,

Comments (7)

• amulet
    15 years ago

Olga,

Below is a link to my favorite utility for searching peony names.

The only peony I have with "Salmon" in the name is 'Salmon Dream', and I just planted it last year. So I don't know what it is going to be like yet.

However the utility returned lots of peonies with "Salmon" in the name. Maybe one of these would be of interest to you. Some of the older cultivars may be less expensive.

Salmon Beauty[Glasscock / Auten / Interstate Nurseries, 1939]
    Salmon Glory[Glasscock, 1947]
    Salmon Glow[Glasscock, 1947]
    Salmon Dream[Reath, D, 1979]
    Salmon Chiffon[Rudolph / Klehm, R.G., 1981]
    Salmon Surprise[Cousins / Klehm, R.G., 1981]
    Soft Salmon Saucer[Cousins / Klehm, R.G., 1981]
    Etched Salmon[Cousins / Klehm, R.G., 1981]
    Soft Salmon Joy[Klehm, R.G., 1995]
    Salmon Doves[Klehm, R.G. , 1998]
    Salmon Whisper[Klehm, R.G. , 1999]
    Salmon Jazz[Klehm, R.G. , 2003]
    This search returned 12 matches

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony Name Search Utility

• olgaflowers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amulet,
    Just wanted to say, Thank's so much !!
    for helping Me with this Information, will look
    them up.
    Best gardening, Olga

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

Please be aware that some of the salmons have similar genetics to the corals. Because of this it may be difficult/impossible to remove all of the roots if you decide to move. The corals may in your soil develop new eyes from root pieces. Therefore decide where you want them because they may be in the original spot forever.

• amulet
    15 years ago

Staying power. I like that. Thanks for the info maifleur. I have heard that some of the corals can have develop adventitious buds on severed roots, but I have yet to move or divide any of mine to find out.

What salmon or corals do you grow? And have you found this to be the case with yours?

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

I have Etched Salmon and Soft Salmon Joy. I have not moved them but have talked to several growers that have this problem.

I am not fond of the salmon's and coral's because to my nose there is a definate moistened dried fish aroma to the flowers. Also since I plant a lot of my peonies for the foliage and the salmon's have a tendence to become ratty looking toward July I think I will pass of future plants of this color. There are some orange/rust colored that Bill Seidl sent the seeds over seas that are to be introduced that I must have odor or not.

• amulet
    15 years ago

I haven't noticed any smell in the corals that have bloomed for me (Pink Hawaiian Coral, Coral Charm, Coral 'N Gold), but I can't say that I have tried to determine their fragrance either. I guess I am more captivated by their appearance.

The only notes I made on a peony with coral in the name was for Coral Fay, "smells nice", which is more dark pink with a hint of coral and appears to have very different genes than the other corals.

I agree about the foliage. The corals do seem to die back quite a bit earlier in the year than most other peonies, but I don't buy my peonies for the foliage anyway (unless it is a fernleaf, but these seem to die back early too). I buy for the flowers and season of bloom.

"There are some orange/rust colored that Bill Seidl sent the seeds over seas that are to be introduced that I must have odor or not."

Are these to be introduced in another country? I am not sure why the seeds were sent over seas. I would love to see some pictures.

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

Here is one of the companies that Bill Seidl sent his seeds to. He does not have a large growing area. His picture is on this site. They mostly sell tree peonies. I will post another site but their catalog has not been updated. Please be aware that it is now the proper shipping time for southern hemishere plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some oranges

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County