Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adona6ct

12 identical peonies...possible?

adona6ct
18 years ago

We've just moved into a new home, and I am busy planning and dreaming.

My husband has requested that the front of the house maintain a symmetrical, conservative appearance. That is fine with me, and I have come up with a plan we both like that includes a row of peonies. I'm visualizing them all being the same color and type.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with peonies, but I've always had success with them, so I feel confident with this plan. I'm a little worried about one thing though. If, in the fall, I buy a dozen peonies that are all labeled say, Bowl of Beauty, what are the chances that I'll end up with a dozen Bowl of Beauty peonies? Do you find that they are frequently mislabled? It seems that I've read that complaint more than once while browsing this forum.

I know there are no guarantees...I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I won't blow a wad of money on mismatched peonies!

Have you found certain mail-order companies to be superior when it comes to such things?

Thanks,

Alma

Comments (3)

• User
    18 years ago

Alma,

Even if you purchased a dozen of the same plant they are like children each grows at their own rate. After 5-10 years they may all be the same but getting there they may mature at different rates. Some of the growers like Adelman's and Hollingsworth take the extra effort to make the plants you receive what you ordered. Hollingsworth tries leaves at least one bloom size bud on the plant and if it is the wrong plant will offer assistance to you.

Since you have read the entries in this forum you know that peonies take 2-3 years to establish the adult flower habit. Also be aware if you have only one type you will only have a short bloom time. Do some searching on the various websites for height of plant and you may be able to extend your bloom time and still have the look you and your husband want.

• ego45
    18 years ago

"My husband has requested that the FRONT of the house maintain a symmetrical, conservative appearance.... I have come up with a plan we both like that includes a row of peonies."

Well, as much as I love peonies I can't agree with your decision. First, you'll limit yourself to 10-14 days of bloom only, simply green mass thereafter and then for the bare grounds from the middle of the fall, thru the whole winter till mid-spring. Beside the point, peonies are not the plants that are perfectly symmetrical in appearance.
    As maifleur correctly pointed out 'they are like children each grows at their own rate'.
    Here is the one of the ideas of how to utilize peonies in a formal row planting. This is the row of 5 peonies 'Duchess of Nemoir' and 5 spireas 'Goldflame'.
    Picture was taken in mid-April, when spireas just started to leaf out and peonies were just barely out of the ground. You don't see peonies there? That's right, daffodils are present in their place at this time of the year. If you have a sharp eye you may see that daffs are growing thru peonies grids.

Early May. Daffs are gone. Peonies foliage is big enough to cover dying daffs foliage. Goldflame is in its prime foliage stage:

Late May. Pretty much formal:

Early June. Peonies about to bloom, spirea already bloomed and is too big. It will be sheared in a half size after peonie will be done, will bloom again later in a season, stay more or less formal shaped till the rest of the season and provide winter interest in otherwise would be a bare space if only peonies were planted there. In early spring spireas will be cut to 6-8" off the ground (as in a first picture) and whole process will start again:

• adona6ct
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maifleur, thanks for the suggestions for mail-order companies. I will research them today.

I do understand the growing habits of peonies, and they are only one facet of my overall plan that will also include boxwood, viburnum, bulbs, perennials like hardy geranium, nepeta, and dianthus. I also plan on including annuals. The peonies will never be the only interest.

The difference between this area and all other gardening I have done will be symmetry, which is why I was concerned about finding peonies that would provide a continuous row of the same color at the same time.

Ego, your spirea 'goldflame' are lovely.

Thanks for the input,

Adona