Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FREE Shipping - Gilbert H Wild - This Weekend Only!

Posted by amulet 7b NC (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 9, 07 at 20:56

I was perusing different nursery web sites trying to decide what orders to place for this year, and I noticed that Gilbert H. Wild has FREE shipping this weekend only - February 8-11.

I have only ordered from them twice before, a collection of 22 peonies, a couple of other peonies, and a couple of daylilies. Their plants aren't the highest quality, so the peonies most likely won't bloom for the first year or two. 4 out of 22 bloomed the first year. 1 was moldy which they declined to do anything about, but all of them came up. This spring will be their second year. I am hoping for more blooms this year!

So basically, their peony roots are cheap with free shipping, but you may have to wait for the blooms!

Gilbert H. Wild

BTW, I ordered:
Peony - Feather Top
Peony - Nick Shaylor
Iris - Immortality
Daylily - Siloam Double Classic

If you find something you can't live without, post it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FREE Shipping - Gilbert H Wild - This Weekend Only!

Oh my...wish you would not have posted that.

I find several things very appealing though I'm resisting, since I already have so many things ordered already.

I thought this iris collection was very nice and reasonable for rebloomers.

And several of the daylilies too.

BTW, I have Siloam Double Classic, and it is very pretty.
Also have Immortality, and it bloomed very late in the season (fall) for me though it was moved sometime in the summer. It was a nice surprise.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Reblooming iris collection.

o

Hi,

We are a nursery specialized in peonies. All of our plants are at least 3 to 4 years old. We only ship them in the fall. If you are in the area, you are welcome to visit our nursery.

Best,

L.T.

www.chinesetreepeony.com

o

Good idea....shipping only in the fall; the best time to plant new peonies.

If spring planted, make sure they are in a dormant state when you get them.

I'm surprised a peony bloomed the first year. I imagine though, the blooms weren't much to brag about... if that were the case, it would have been better to nip the buds off before they proceeded much into creating a flower.
Better for the plant.

o

Jeannie7, some growers provide a mature bud on the the roots they ship. This allows the receiver to know that they were shipped the correct plant and they can notify the grower the first year rather than sometime later. My advice is do not remove the flower bud but be aware that the first flower after division may not be a true representation of what the plant will do in the future. What you should do on newly planted peonies is to remove the spent flower and not allow seeds to form. This does help the plant but removing the bud before blooming does not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here