Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Fern Leaf Peony-$7.95...can that be right?

Needless to say, I am quite excited that it might be, considering the prices elsewhere.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Paeonia officinalis Rubra plena at American Meadows

Comments (6)

• azngrnthumbs
    17 years ago

This does not look to be a reputable company who knows their plants or knows their plants, but their suppliers send them poor and mislabelled stock.

The plant they have photographed and listed is Paeonia officinalis Rubra Plena. The true "Fern Leaf Peony" is Paeonia tenuifolia.

You're paying for and will probably receive a plain red herbaceous peony. I'm sorry.

I might be wrong. I'd email the company and confirm what they'll be sending you and make sure they have some sort of guarantee for being true to name.

Cheers,

Riz

Here is a link that might be useful: Paeonia tenuifolia

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Riz,

Thanks for the info. I wrote them via the Contact Us link at their site. See below my email to them.

I thought you might like to be informed of your error in your on line listing b4 getting/making some disappointed customers.
    When I did a search for Fern Leaf Peony, I came up with your listing...see the link below please.
    http://www.americanmeadows.com/Perennials/Peonies/PaeoniaofficinalisrubraPlena.aspx
    Knowing that the fern leaf peony is always a lot more expensive, I asked about it at an on line Peony Forum.
    Here is a part of their reply.
    The plant they have photographed and listed is Paeonia officinalis Rubra Plena. The true "Fern Leaf Peony" is Paeonia tenuifolia.
    Here is an 'actual' pic of the beautiful Fern Leaf.
    http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/8514/1?RA=tiscali
    I'd suggest you correct and change the Common name because it is NOT " Common Name : The Fern-leaf Peony"
    I was excited to discover the Fern Leaf at your price, but disappointed to find out your listing is actually wrong.
    Sue

I'll update here once I get a reply...maybe they will send me something for free...because of giving them a heads up on their error...think?

Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Sue: I'd like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've asked our Perennial Growers to give me more detail. I'll be back to you. And THANKS again,
    Ray Allen
    Owner, AmericanMeadows.com

I'm impressed so far that 'the Pres' wrote back so quickly, since I originally emailed the Warehouse Manager (so they could prevent any possible wrong shipments from going out), and then emailed a copy afterwards to the Sales Manager as well.

Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Sue: I have investigated the plant you wrote us about with our growers, and as you know, you were absolutely correct...this is a P. officinalis cultivar. Hortus Third calls P. officinalis a subspecies, different from the more common P. lactiflora, but NOT the fern-leaf, which as you know is P tenufolia. We try very hard to be not only accurate, but complete and careful with our descriptions, so I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. It appears our copywriter got the two plants confused, since the names Rosea and Plena are used for both.
    To say thanks again, IÂm sending you a $XX Email Gift Certificate....Yada, yada, yada.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Ray Allen
    Owner, AmericanMeadows.com

Now I'm off to see if they have any peonies I 'need' or some other purdies. Seems that many bulbs will go on sale 1/2 price in May, and many things are on sale now.

WooHoo!

Sue

• azngrnthumbs
    17 years ago

Glad that worked out!

R

• jackie_o
    17 years ago

For what it's worth I ordered from American Meadows last year. They have the Biltmore Collection and I ordered dahlias and cannas and was more than happy with what they sent.
    After I had placed my order I saw that my local nursery was carrying the Biltmore Collection as well, so I bought even more there. This year instead of paying for the shipping I'm going to get them locally. I certainly hope my nursery carries them again! If they don't I would not hesitate to order from American Meadows again.