Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rema_gw

ants in the peony pot, newbie here

rema
17 years ago

hi, i bought peony karl rosenfeld last fall in a pot and i have not transplanted it yet. today i saw that the pot is full of ants. i have 2 questions one is how to get rid of the ants and the other is is it too late to transplant and on which side??i stay in dfw area.and should i do any thing else for it to bloom??any guidance is greatly appreciated.

thanks

rema

Comments (3)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

I would plant it in well composted soil where it gets 6 hours of sun and plenty of water. It needs a year or two to establish well so don't plan on moving it around. Al

• ymaddox
    17 years ago

It's odd this question come up, because i had one of my elderly patients tell me the other day when i was talking about my peonies that for whatever reason they must have ants to live...never heard of that before. Does anyone know about this? She says it is necessary for the plant? maybe it is just an old wives tale.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

Ants are not required nor are they harmful. If you will lick the top of any peony bud you will notice "how sweet it is". It is no secret that ants are drawn to sweet syrup. Al

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals