Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevelau1911

Intersectional or Itoh peonies

stevelau1911
12 years ago

I recently bought an intersectional peony off of eBay which was a bare root clump with a few eyes.

One of the things I am wondering is how tall do the woody stems get?

In some pictures I see the woody stems get as high as 2ft or so while others have woody stems only up to a few inches with more eyes forming at the base instead. Does this vary between intersectional peonies?

It seems like they are basically like tree peonies that die back partially, and the less of the woody stems survive to make branch eyes than that of tree peonies. From pictures it also looks like more eyes are formed from the base than tree peonies, but unlike herbeceous types, they are capable of producing some woody stems that survive year to year.

Comments (11)

• daveinohio_2007
    12 years ago

Our intersectionals die completely to ground every winter, just like
    herbaceous.

• alina_1
    12 years ago

My established Itoh Peonies (Bartzella, Singing in the rain, Morning Lilac) have up to 1' woody stems that do not die.
    Newer plants (second year in the ground; Cora Loise and Hillary) have smaller above ground parts. The plants are smaller themselves, so I expect the same result from them in a year or two.

• daveinohio_2007
    12 years ago

Intersectionals are sterile: no seeds.

• woodthrush
    12 years ago

I just got some also. They are showing new eyes. Should I plant them just below the soil like a garden peony?

• olypen
    12 years ago

The large, established suppliers of Itoh peonies dig up and sell them in the fall. Early fall is definitely the best time to plant an intersectional. This allows the plant to develop feeder roots before the spring. The lack of feeder roots in bare root plants planted in the spring will result in severe stress on the plant. If it were me, I would plant a bare root Itoh in a large container, keep the container in shade and then take the plant out of the container and plant it in the ground in the fall.

Itoh peonies should be planted with the eyes 1 1/2 to 2 inches below the surface.

• woodthrush
    12 years ago

Thanks. I've find the peony wholesalers here sell out in the spring.

• Stig_of_the_Dump
    12 years ago

In my experience the intersectionals settle and grow extremely fast. I would plant it in the ground and make sure it has enough water in the spring. Then I think it would thrive. I grow only tiny roots in containers; in my experience peonies do not like them.

The intersectionals really are wonderful. So full of life!

You really should trade roots, folks, they grow so fast and they are so expensive! (I would share but live in Scandinavia)

• stevelau1911
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The 2 smaller itoh peonies I got this spring looked like herbeceous ones and produce shoots that start out looking herbeceous, but their leaves ultimately have the shape of the tree peonies.

I just got in the mail a bartzella itoh peony and this one looked exactly like a tree peony with all sprouts coming from above ground buds. I guess there might be a range in how close itohs are to each phenotype.

• stevelau1911
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are the pictures to show exactly what I mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bartzella Itoh peony

• BroomMaker
    12 years ago

My most resent reading indicates Itoh peonies tend to have a very woody root system. Folks have been forced to use a saw to divide them and some question about long term health. Any opinions/experience?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County