Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevelau1911

Maximizing the growth rate of tree peony seedlings

stevelau1911
12 years ago

As most of us peony growers already know, tree peonies grow extremely slow especially on their first year and take at least 4-5 years to produce a bloom so I've thought about ways I might be able to speed up the growth rate.

I can give them ideal conditions, full sun, adequate water, good soil, etc, but in order to gain an edge I think they need something more. I've heard of azomite being a product that can help peonies grow stronger, but haven't seen results yet. I also have a small bottle of voodoo juice which I don't plan on trying out until it gets a bit warmer.

The ones in pots from last year with very good soil opposed to in garden beds don't have any noticeable differences yet, but I think the biggest determining factor is the amount of energy produced by the seedling which can be used towards the following year since their size for the first year is pretty much set in stone. They very rarely do any growth after their initial leaf on the 1st year.

I plan on sprinkling a little bit of azomite and giving some voodoo juice as well to hopefully improve the root growth.

Anyways here is a sample of what I have coming up. It's so exciting to see them sprout.

Here is a link that might be useful: My tree peonies sprouting

Comments (4)