Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haveatry2

Why does tree peony cuttings not shoot up?

haveatry2
15 years ago

I moved 20 tree peony cuttings back to my hometown 2 months before. All these cuttings have some new roots while moved.

Yesterday, I called my father. He told me that all the tree peony cuttings looks fine, the sprouts are fresh, but nearly no change at all compared with 2 months before,no shoot up,let alone leafs.

Its warm there in my hometown, the air temperature is about 70F (20C). Some of the local tree peonies are blooming. There must be something wrong with those cuttings, I don't know.

I also kept several rooted cuttings in my room, these cuttings also not shoot up, just like those in my hometown. The tree peony here just shoot up several days before.Here is zone 7, my hometown is zone 10. All of these cuttings are cut from zone 7 in the last autumn.

I guess,if this problem has something to do with dormancy. Cause before transplant, all the cuttings were put in a warm and humid place in the last winter, the air temperature is 70F with a humidity of 70~80%.

Without leafs, these cutting will die after all the stored nutrition exhausted.

I plan to try some hormone like GA3 to do with dormancy. Any suggestion for this?

Comments (7)