Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Tree peonies-purchase or not?

Nancy
17 years ago

Our Lowes just got in some tree peonies, boxed. No real names it seems, just double red, light pink, and lavendar. They look quite healthy & have just a bit of growth on the very tips. Are they worth the $10? I know that Lowe's stuff isn't reliable, but I don't really care that much about the name, just if it is pretty. Right now their worst problem seems to be that they are on a shelf that is about 3" too short will be broken to bits before long.

Comments (8)

• entling
    17 years ago

If they look healthy, $10 might be worth it. Named tree peonies sell online for $40-200. I found a 2-year old Kamada Nishiki at a local garden center for $25, and that is a real bargain. The expensive ones have unusual colors, larger flowers, stronger stems that hold the flowers more upright, or bloom earlier or later than average. (I longed for Kamada Nishiki for years after seeing its blossom -- semi-double lavender with incredible shading.) If you don't care about the name and are willing to gamble, go for it. Any ordinary tree peony is pretty.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I may stop on the way home & buy one. I've been thinking about it, one of those purchases I want it, but need a little nudge. I bought a tree peony a couple of years ago from a reputable local nursery. It was in a 5 gallon container & I got it on sale in the fall for $5. I thought it was a great deal, but this will be its 3rd year & it hasn't bloomed yet & really isn't very hearty looking. I don't know if it doesn't like where I planted it, or just the type. It is called Hanakisoi. These look better bare root than mine did last year :) I may try the lavendar one & hope it will bloom before too many years!
    Thanks!

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

If you pull the plant and bag out of the box the name of the cultivar is written on it. I saw three different names only at my Lowes. They may or may not be what you want. Just remember as a service to everyone put back in box it was taken from.

• jackie_o
    17 years ago

I say go for it.
    I was just at a very large local nursery that has a huge Ebay presence and I was looking at all of their tree peonies. They are the same size as what you found at Lowes and they're charging $35-$125 for them. And the guy I talked to admitted that they just get them from a supplier (could be the same as Lowe's) and have NO IDEA if they are true to the names on the tags.
    I love the look of tree peonies, so for $10 whatever I get is a bargain. I'll be scouting out my local Lowe's looking for these. It's probably too early here. Maybe next month.

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

To post a follow up, the one listed as double red is Wu Long Peng Shen, light pink, Zhu Sha Lei, and the lavender is Zi Bao Guan. I did not see any white and there is no guarantee that the name is correct but for years I have suggested purchasing box store type as your first starter tree peony. One thing you should know is that to encourage roots plant the stem deep, six to eight or more above the roots. The plants say depth 8 inch but that should be above root not total depth. They are one year old plants. I hate having people pay $40+ for a plant that they may not enjoy then puting in compost when they can start with a cheapie the graduate to a more expensive and gift the original plant to someone just starting.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks maifleur & jackie o. I stopped by & bought a lavendar one this morning, & you are absolutely right. When you pull them out of the box they do have a name. Of course, I know that it may not turn out to be correct, but I do kinda like to have a name to it if possible. I've been fairly lucky with my Lowe's purchases though & almost everything has been what was stated. Or if not, it has been something that I blamed on someone switching tags. I don't necessarily blame the store, I've seen too many customers pull a tag out & stick it back into something handy. I hate that people rummage through & don't replace stuff either. Now, I'm definitely guilty of sorting through & picking the healthiest, or looking for the package with a couple extra bulbs maybe :0 but I put them back where they belong & don't damage any along the way!
    I'm thinking I need to replant the tree peony I already have, I don't think I got it deep enough & maybe that is its problem. I may talk myself into going back for a pink tree peony too, they were really the thickest stemmed & healthiest looking ones.

• flowergirl70ks
    17 years ago

The names mentioned by Maifluer are Chinese. Kamada Nishiki will be Japanese. Over 35 years ago, I bought tree peonies from K-Mart for $1.69. They were small grafts in a tiny box. All bloomed by the 3rd year, and I still have them. My only complaint is that it always rains here when they are blooming. I love them and try to add at least 1 new oneevery few years.

• Woce
    9 years ago

I purchased two lavender tree peonies from Lowe's in Kansas City several years ago. They had a couple of flowers the second year. Now they are loaded with the most beautiful blooms I have ever seen. Be patient.