Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could they still be alive? Wannabe did something stupid

Posted by mmqchdygg Z5NH (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 5, 09 at 9:31

Years ago- probably 10 or so- before I knew what I know now about Peonies, I did something really stupid: I tried to 'refresh' an old heirloom row of peonies thinking they were just 'old' and would benefit from being dug up and transplanted.

You can guess what happened. There were two rows of probably 10 plants each, and none of them has since come back...or if they did, no one knows because it has been assumed that I killed them, and each spring, the area is mowed as 'lawn.'

A few years later, I took a chunk of another peony (one that was in another spot and lucky enough to come away with its life because I didn't touch THAT one the previous time), but at that point in my life, I DID know that peonies may take several years to 'recover' from such an event, and last year was blessed with a lovely blooming plant.

My question is: Is it at all possible that the two rows of peonies that I seemingly destroyed are still 'alive' and could still produce plants if left alone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could they still be alive? Wannabe did something stupid

Possible but not probable. Dig down in the area that you remember the peonies in. Sometimes when turning over the soil the roots become buried too deep.

Good luck. I did have one come back after being damaged in sewer project that was buried very deep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here