Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think I killed my peony bulb

Posted by KimberlySC (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 05 at 11:24

Hello everyone
I purchase a peony bulb from Lowes several weeks ago. There was a little green sprout coming up from the dirt and now the green part is black. Have I killed this bulb? I was waiting for it to get a little warmer for planting and if there is any chance at all that this is still alive I will plant today and mulch very good. Now I wonder if I should have put this in the
refrigerator. I'm new to peonies!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think I killed my peony bulb

It may be dead but peonies are hard to kill. If the root still has some heft and moisture it's probably alive. Remember, peonies are really Northern demonstration plants and need a lot of cold exposure to do well. So here in the South you plant them shallow--with buds at the surface--and do not mulch in the winter, only the summer. Plant it now and water it well. Or,better yet, take it back to Lowes and get a replacement--they are pretty laissez-faire about returns if you keep the receipt.

o

Peonies are not a bulb and should be potted up as soon as purchased. I keep mine in a gallon pot through the first season and then plant a much stronger peony in the ground either in the fall or next spring. Al

o

I support the notion that bareroot peonies should be poted first and then moved into grounds after full year of growth in a pot.
That would serve two purposes, first, they will be able to grow in most favorable conditions while still being babies and second, since potted peonies could be planted at any time of the year you'll have more time to think about their future PERMANENT place in landscape by moving pots several times during the summer thus avoiding moving it later if you plant them in the ground and you are wrong. Been there, done that.

o

Hello, my 2nd post on Gardenweb (sorry, the first went to the Roses :) ) but I'm excited about the peony roots I bought at a Home Depot. They were on sale which tells me that they wanted to move them because:
a) the peonies and other boxed bareroots are getting old and dying and
b) they need to make room for the FALL BULBS!! ( i can't wait)

I brought them home and potted them up in potting soil with some compost on top, at least I think I put a bit on top. So after reading this thread, I should leave them in the pots for a year? I just did this yesterday so I shouldn't expect any bloom from them until next spring? Some of the eyes are about 1/2" to 1" but will they die back or sprout a bit of green then die back? I was wondering if they would play "catch up" to the peony plants that some other people in the neighborhood have that are about 12" to 18" and budding already.
Thanks!

o

Hello KimberlySC....Just curious...did your Peony Root make it?......GardenLove

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here