Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard Freeze

Posted by sweet_betsy z7 No AL USA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 12:16

We are scheduled for an unseasonable hard freeze tonight with 24 degrees predicted. Should peonies that have several inches of growth be severely affected?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard Freeze

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 12:27

Just to be on safe side, maybe you should cover them. The hard freeze won't kill the plants, but they may damage/kill the flower buds. In that case, you won't have any flowers for this season and that would be a shame.

o

Yes cover them up. Even if the plant root survives, you'll dread seeing the dead leaves/stalks for a few weeks anyway. Compare that to opening up your cover tomorrow morning and see the weather temps back up and your plant doing just fine because you took a little bit of extra precaution.

I also learned my lesson this year about certain other plants (not peonies). Their roots may do fine with the low temperatures but their leaves and stalks that are up above ground need to be protected (even a new leaf compared to an old leaf, the new leaf needs more protection on the same plant)

o

If they have flower buds cover them (a gallon ziplock baggie works nicely). If no flower buds, don't worry about it. They are cold weather flowers.

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 19:26

The most damage that can occur for your plants is if the temps goes from 24 to say 60 degrees in a 24 hours period. It is the sudden freeze and thaw that the leaves and buds can't take. However, if the freeze and subsequent warmups are gradual, then the damage maybe lessened.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here