Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mashamcl

Tree peony ID (picture)

mashamcl
14 years ago

Hello,

I bought this peony on clearance without a tag. Does anyone know what its name might be? Thanks.

Masha

{{gwi:1133802}}

Comments (12)

• peonyman
    14 years ago

Marsha,

Your tree peony is very nice. The plant looks small. Is this the first year it bloomed? The first year the blooms may not be very representative of the blooms when the plant is a bit larger. It is rather difficult to identify a tree peony due to the large number of tree peony cultivars in cultivation. That being said I would suggest that you look at photos on the web of Teni. Your plant could be that cultivar. This is really just a suggestion. Your bloom seems to be a bit dark for Teni. My blooms seem to be a bit paler however my plant is in full sun which cause the blooms to fade a bit.

Leon

Here is a link that might be useful: Heartland Peony Society Photo Gallery

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Leon. I will look it up. This is the first year the plant bloomed. This year there are three buds, so it will be interesting to see what they look like.

Masha

• ozzysboy
    14 years ago

To my eye, it looks like my Yoshino Gawa did in its first year bloom--it has gotten a bit darker and fuller as it has settled in. But, peonyman is on the money--hard to make an accurate call until the plant has settled in. Lovely picture, nonetheless.

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, ozzyboy. My peony has four buds this year (although it hardly grew at all), I will post pictures when it blooms. I googled Yoshino Gawa but couldn't see any images, so can't say.

Masha

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Search with the name as one word instead of two and you will find it.

If all else look on Carsten's site. He does not have all of the peonies in the world on it but is always a good reference when you are looking at peonies.

• ozzysboy
    14 years ago

I have pictures, but I'm new to this and don't know how you upload. Anyway, here's a link--very similar to how mine looks now that it's settled in, but it really was a pale as your picture depicts--loved your pic so much, it's my Today's Wallpaper on my desktop.

Here is a link that might be useful: yoshino gawa

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, everybody. Ozzyboy, so far mine has been much paler than that. We'll see how it looks this year.
    Maifleur, thank you for the tip about that site. It seems daunting, but I will try to go through the pictures:-)

Masha

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

You will find that your budget will not stretch to your I wants.

Since you are in San Jose you could take a picture to 4Iris nursery and see what they think.

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maifleur, that's funny. Actually I am not into peonies, I am a big rose addict, and that's where my money goes. I have over 100 and counting. But I am into rose companion plants too, and that's where peonies come in (among other things). It seems that herbaceous peonies need more winter chill than I can provide (I am trying one now but it doesn't look promising) while tree peonies are, indeed, very expensive.

Violet Carson
    {{gwi:1133804}}

Rapture
    {{gwi:1133806}}

Gloire des Rosomanes
    {{gwi:206065}}

Mrs. E.G. Hill
    {{gwi:206036}}

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

OK I spaced out the website for Chateau CharMarron Gardens. They are somewhere in the San Jose area. You could visit or send a picture to them to see if they could identify.

I have not purchased from them but they do have some peonies that other nurseries do not.

Missed this year but normally go to Heirloom Roses on my annual trip to the west. Expensive but since I am cheap I purchase the ones that are labled mystery since the label was not correc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peonies in San Jose area

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, maifleur! I forgot about them too. I have seen the website before, I guess it should be a good time to go soon! Thanks again

Masha

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Some of the tree peonies may be about ready to bloom. Mine sent out bloom buds last fall when we had strange weather then it froze. But the new ones I planted look really nice. Of course the 3-6 inches of snow may retard the flowers.

Please report your findings about this nursery, friendly, know what they are doing, etc. I have never purchased from them but their stock looks interesting. Some companies import tree peonies but few the herbaceous types.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH