Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

please help! baby peony questions

No-Clue
10 years ago

Good morning!

So I recently purchased a tiny baby Majorcan peony that arrived in a 4 inch pot. After letting it slowly adjusting to some sun I planted it in the ground. My reasoning at the time was that anything I grow in pots besides my plumerias just died! So this might have a better chance of surviving if planted in the ground. But the poor thing is sooo tiny, about 3-4 inches from the soil line. It's in an area w/ full sun but for now I have a taller plumeria sheltering it so it only get filtered sun. Also I wasn't sure if I was supposed to press the soil down because after a week some of the compost/soil has washed away and now part of the roots are showing? Should I bury the thing more?

I have really awful clay soil so I dug up a small hole and added 50% compost before I planted it. Of course now I'm second guessing myself. Maybe I should have dug a bigger and deeper hole? Maybe I should have planted it in a 5 gal for the first few years? Then I read that Peonies don't like to be disturbed so I'm all freaked out that I will kill it if I leave it in the ground and I will kill it if I pull it out and put it in a pot!

So what should I do now? Leave it in the ground or repot it in a 5 Gal??? If so what soil should I use? Also can I fertilize it yet or no? I'm losing sleep over this stinker! Sigh...

Thank you so much!!

Lynn

Comments (14)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Since it is already planted, leave it there for this year. Protect it best you can. If it grows well you can move it for next year to a better location. You will probably find you will need to adjust for planting depth anyway. Here in warm winter California many peony fail to bloom because of not enough winter chilling, usually because of being too deep in the ground. Al

• kathyr89
    10 years ago

Hey No Clue are you the same No Clue from the plumeria forum here? My 2 addictions plumeria & peonies. My climate is better suited for the peonies.
    Wait until peony has lost all foliage in fall to move it.
    Good luck!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Al! I'm leaving it a lone for now. But here is how much the roots are sticking up. Should I add a little more soil or no?

Is this not the tiniest thing you have ever seen? It's only about 3 inches tall and maybe 4 inches wide. So fragile!

Maifleur - I did buy it from Annie's. This is my first Peony so I don't know what the heck I'm doing! How is yours doing? Did you leave it in the pot or planted in the ground??

Kathy89 - Hi there!! Yep it's me. Gosh I feel like I'm cheating on my plumerias! LOL. I'm new to Peonies, but I also visit the Fragrant Forum as well. I love exotic flowers with a nice fragrance! But my climate is best suited for Plumerias that's why I'm having a hard time finding and trying to see what Peonies will grow here. Unfortunately, like Plumerias these Itohs are just as pricey if not more! I sure hope I don't kill them all.

How are your plumerias doing?

• graycrna4u
    10 years ago

Put some more soil around it up to the base of the plant. I would carefully dig it up and plant it deeper.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gray,

WHERE is the base?? Do I cover all the way up to where brown part ends and the red part begins?

Oh dear... how do I carefully do this?? I'm going to kill it aren't i? Can't I just cover it w/ more dirt and not dig?? I'm so scared to kill my first Peony!

I can't even tell if it's growing or not either. From now on I will only buy fully grown plants! Baby plants scare me.

• graycrna4u
    10 years ago

The red stems should be above ground, the rest below. I use a pitchfork and loosen the soil at the same level as the leaf growth out from the plant. Then, bring the plant up out of the soil. Dig the hole deeper and replant to the level of the red stems. Peonies are difficult to kill if they are thriving in the spot you planted it. And it looks like it is.

• maifleur01
    10 years ago

Go ahead and dig up and replant. If you look at the picture there is a white spot at the bottom of the stem. That white spot should be just below the soil surface. The soil will settle and it should be fine.

I received mine Saturday and we had snow and cold since then so not planted. I do have one that I purchased about 10 years ago but planted too deep. I started to dig last fall and discovered the roots had spread sideways over a foot. Was very dry and as I was scraping the dirt away I decided to leave until later. Has never bloomed but is very healthy. My friends thought it would die the first year. It could be that by planting that deep nutrient's went to root growth rather than flowers.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Another option is to pile soil onto the exposed root up to where Gray said, like having the peony grown on a mound. I do not believe that you have to dig it up and replant it. In fact, having the peony grown on a mound is better because this reduces the possibility of the plant sitting in water during wet periods.

• kathyr89
    10 years ago

Brought plumeria up from basement a few weeks ago. They are in window with southern exposure on heat pads. Waking up from winter, leaves are starting.
    The peonies that started peaking through soil are under 2" of snow this morning. Ugh come on Spring!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds great Kathy!! I can't wait to see all of your Peonies blooming! I think it will a while yet before I see this tiny baby bloom.

I did the mound thing and hid the roots a little better. She looks about the same but at least not dead. Hard to see if she's growing though b/c she's so tiny! LOL I'm just happy she's still hanging in there with me.

• yipla (Zone 10a border with 10b)
    8 years ago

How have these peonies done? I wonder if they can be hybridized with other herbaceous peonies to get the big fluffy bowl flower shape to grow in warm climates.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    8 years ago

For the top of the root to be exposed to the air is ideal for your zone. It may look odd during the winter but will not be noticed in the rest of the year. Where your chilling is marginal the buds need to be exposed to the air, if covered with soil they will not get enough chill to bloom. Al

• yipla (Zone 10a border with 10b)
    8 years ago

Will that work in zone 10? I just ordered 1 coral sunset herbaceous peony to test. Should I plant it in shade?