Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these bulbs still viable?

Posted by organic_flutterby (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 12:54

I have never planted bulbs and have no experience with this so hopefully someone can help me. I was given some bulbs (peony, calla lily, daffodil) that were bought from a garden center last year and are still in the bag. What are the chances that these will still grow? And if they do, will I get flowers this season? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these bulbs still viable?

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 9:04

I would venture to say that they would be good. I have planted "old" daffodils and lily bulbs and had success..I'm not as familiar with the peonies but I'd say put them in the ground, worst thing that will happen is that they dont do anything this year....but I'll bet they will. I'd put them in now if you have soft unfrozen ground :)

o
RE: Are these bulbs still viable?

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 14:36

I guess I should have added, that the condition of the bulbs is key...if they are all dried out...they are probably no good. but if you can squeeze them and they are still firm...then go for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here