Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Peonies Emerging

plantomaniac08
12 years ago

We (like most I'm sure) have had a pretty warm winter, no freeze here at all. I own three peonies and so far, one has emerged. Is anyone else's peonies emerging, or already emerged?

{{gwi:1133834}}

Comments (10)

• alina_1
    12 years ago

Mild winter here in MD too.
    My tree peonies all have leaves and buds.
    Itoh peonies have tiny buds too (only established plants).
    Herbaceous have sprouts 2-12", depending on variety.

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

So far all the tree peonies have put out leaves at varying levels of development, some with flower buds.

A lot of tree peony seedlings are already almost fully developed with their 2 mini-leaves while others are just emerging.

My itoh peony and all the herbeceous ones are around 2-8 inches high and rising fast. I'm in upstate NY so I think that means a lot.

Here's a picture of a 2nd year seedling just to show you how advanced they are. I'm really impressed at how much bigger the leaves on the 2nd year seedlings are in comparison to the ones on year 1.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd year seedling

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's interesting to see how fast everyone's peonies are growing with the mild winter, my Mother-in-law's peony is already about 12'' tall, no buds yet though. That's a nice looking 2nd year seedling Steve.

Planto

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

Thanks. It is my favorite seedling out of all of them so far because the leaves look so elegant and symmetrical. It should look awesome in another month when the leaves are fully grown.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steve,
    You should post another photo in a month then. :)

Planto

• furbank
    12 years ago

Yeah - My peonies are already approx 12" tall too but weak and hitting the ground : (

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

I don't think it needs another month to be fully grown. It already has much bigger leaves than a 1st year seedling as the leaves have tripled in size in the last 3 days.

It's on the 6th picture of my latest blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: update on my peonies

• threedogsmom
    12 years ago

We are under a freeze warning tonight 3/26 into 3/27 - will the emerged/leafed out shoots be damaged? I have 4 herbacious plants and 1 tree plant to worry about, one of which has buds already. Thanks for any info on thier cold-hardiness in spring.
    Amy

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

If the temperature was down to something like 32F, then I woudn't have any concerns, but tonight it is supposed to get down to 24F which can fry my little tree peony seedlings so I plan on covering them with frost cloth until the threat of freeze if over.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

We have seen temperatures in the upper 20s and even snow last night fairly often and I'm noticing that the 1st year tree peony seedlings are handling it so they do have some degree of hardiness. It was only when it got in the lower 20s when it became a threat.

It's hard to believe that many of these 1st year seedlings are already fully grown before April so they'll have the rest of the season to harden off and take in energy. The 2nd year seedling still have quite a bit left to grow, and the grafted ones are a ways off before being full grown. Itohs and herbeceous are even further behind.

Sponsored