Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slazin

Frustration with 'Red' (re tree peonies)!

slazin
14 years ago

Hi -- hope you can help -- I am going nuts with pics of things on the Net labelled "red"! I have beds with color themes, and reds that have the slightest bit of pink/maroon just don't go well in the bed of reds, oranges and yellows. But "red" used by growers and vendors can mean anything from deep maroon to scarlet (which to me is clear red, leaning toward the orange end rather than the purple/maroon).

Anyway, my sweet hubby bought me 2 "red" tree peonies, and I can't tell from internet pics what kind of red they are -- and I need to know if there is any hint of pink/maroon. One is "Houki", and the other is "Naniwanishiki" -- that is how they are spelled on their labels from Pan American nursery.

Can anyone tell me if they are true clear red (i.e., would you plant them with oranges and yellows, or do they have hints of pink -- would they look better in a bed with purples and pinks?)

Thanks so much!!

Comments (7)

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

I suggest you check Carsten's website for decent pictures. Both are medium reds. That said red's are one of the peony colors that are greatly effected by amount of sunlight and local soil conditions. They will hold their flowers better if given protection from the sun from noon on.

The Houki is also know as Hoki and the second one is actually two words not one.

Use the intials to find you plants. Both have nice structure for the winter. If you have never grown tree peonies plant them much deeper than what is stated on most instructions. Most are grafts and you want roots to form above the grafted area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carsten's website

• peonyman
    14 years ago

Slazin,

I consider Naniwa Nishiki to be more pink than red. That is if in fact the plant in my yard is labelled correctly.

Naniwa Nishiki is one of my favorite Japanese tree peonies, and it is not because of the flowers. This tree peony has some of the nicest foliage of any of the tree peonies. In spring the foliage will have bronze, rust and green mixed in zones around the leaves. It holds alot of interest in my garden. The leaves turn more green after the weather gets hot in early summer. With your more northern climate the leaf color may stay longer.

Leon.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Leon, your's does have the lighter petal edges but your's is also planted in full sun so that may make a difference. Watch this spring when they are just opening from the bud.

• tina_2
    14 years ago

Hi - WOW! What an awesome peony!
    I hope ,I get some nice blooms
    on mine! Thanks - tina_2

• slazin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks very much! Carsten's website is amazing, and so helpful! And the pic here very useful (as well as just a great pic!)

I appreciate also the recommendation re deep planting tree peonies. Does that also apply to the Itoh hybrids?

• peonyman
    14 years ago

Slazin,

Intersectional peonies are herbaceous in nature and they are not typically grafted. Plant them shallow just as you would a herbaceous peony.

Leon

• ozzysboy
    14 years ago

If you are looking for a red on the scarlet side, Taiyo is brilliant, readily available and (relatively) cheap. Shima Nishiki is a branch sport of Taiyo and is red and white striped (very shocking when mature).

Houki is a red with a purplish overlay in our climate and soil. Kao is a red with some silvering at the tips (gigantic bloom tho). The Chinese "reds" all seem to have a bit of purple in them, although Ying Ri Hong does display a red heart and Huo Lian Jin Dan is only slightly purplish.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm