Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell when peony is ready to move from pot to ground?

Posted by thenightingale 6a-WV Panhandle (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 14:18

I couldn't resist the bareroot peony at Wal-Mart this morning. It's now in the (cool) basement and I plan to pot it up this weekend (at which point I can presumably put it outdoors on the porch or patio?) and care for it through the summer.

That said, when is the best time in fall to plant if into my actual garden? Last year we had 70 degree temps as we left for a vacation in the first week of November, and when we returned a week later, there was a blizzard and the ground was frozen. How does one tell when the peony is ready to move from its pot of safety to the garden itself?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell when peony is ready to move from pot to ground?

Planting it into 70 degree temperature would not present a problem. In the fall it is going to lose the foliage. The roots have had all summer to populate the soil in the pot and are in good condition to survive the winter in the ground. Even if you had to plant into the frozen ground it would be harder on you than on the peony. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here