Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony Molly the Witch

Posted by furbank Maryland (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 14:23

Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year it bloomed briefly but this year the stems are growing so long that it's now top heavy and hitting the ground. I staked it up for support. Is this normal? Also, should I fertilize? I need all the information I can get, so please, lets talk. Thanks.
Nickell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony Molly the Witch

I am sorry I cannot be specific as I have not grown this particular peony, but I have seen my Mother-in-law's peony grow so large it flops over (in fact, every year it does this). Hope this helps.

Planto

o

I grow mine through a grid to give the stems support, especially the double flower varieties. I am surprised at how early in the year you have the problem. I never fertilize my peonies, other than the adding of compost around the plants. Al

o

Molly can take 4 years or more to become happy where planted. Which is one of the reasons they are priced so high if the real thing.

o

If you mean Paeonia Mlokosewitschii: it ALWAYS blooms briefly, not only last year or any other year. Mine have never needed any support, but as they usually are seed propagated , you never know what an individual plant will be like.
Actually, majority of single peonies usually blooms briefly. The record in my garden belongs to a variety called Flame, where the whole clump bloomed for 2 (two) days.

o

So, does any of you have any Molly The Witch to trade or sell? I have an unknown single yellow that was given to me and I do not know if it is Molly The Witch. It is budding and will try to get back here with pictures. My peony called Flame blooms more than 2 days. Looks like I need to post some pictures. Stay in touch. Peony addict has 140 named varieties of peonies, always looking for one I do not have.

o

Looks like no one has this peony. here is the picture of one that was given to me several years ago, but the picture does not do it justice.Does anyone have any to sell or trade?

o

Thanks to all who replied. @ illino - I'll try to dig up info. on exactly where I purchased Molly and post for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here