Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lil21

When do peonies break ground?

lil21
14 years ago

Hi I'm new to the Forum and new to growing peonies. I bought three peonies (Krinkle White) from an online garden retailer fall 09. One plant has already sprouted three eyes, while the others have not. I'm wondering if the other two are dead. I researched how to plant peonies and believe I planted them correctly. Should I wait to see if the other two will emerge or should I go out and buy two more? I live in IL. zone 5.

Comments (6)

• minotpeonies
    14 years ago

I would leave them alone for a bit.Some peonies come up later than others.I live in Maine and out of 50 plus plants have only seen the eyes of Paeonia Flame so far.I'm sue they are ok if they were good size roots.

• lil21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks minotpeonies. Hopefully the one peony is just sprouting alittle earlier then the other two. How long should I wait before digging them up, and if I dig them up and find out the roots are alive, can I replant them?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

I have peonies over a foot high and I also have some that have not started yet. Peony gardeners should be patient or the peonies will teach them patience. Al

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

There are early blooming peonies during peony season, mid-blooming peonies during peony season, and later blooming peonies during peony season.

I try to have at least a few of each type--extends my peony season.

Here in Zone 6, my early and mid-blooming season peonies have begun sticking their little red noses up through the soil. My later blooming season peonies have done nothing yet. That means everything is pretty much on schedule.

I planted my peonies decades ago, but if I remember correctly, none of them were quite on schedule their first year in the ground.

You do know, don't you, that you may not get many blooms the first year? By their 3rd year, they should be going great guns. Don't want you expecting too much the first year--but be happy if they do better than average.

Kate

• lil21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

All three peonies are beginning to sprout! I can't believe how excited I am...cautiously, excited!

Calistoga- I'm new to peonies and definitely will have to learn to be patient.

Kate- Thanks for the info, it helped to know that your plants weren't on schedule their first year. What had me concerned was that mine were all the same variety, but only one was sprouting. Now just hoping I get at least one flower this year. :)

• User
    14 years ago

Try to think of plants of all kinds as members of a family. Not everyone will be exactly alike even identical twins. Each has their own habits and living cycles. Some will florish in conditions that will stunt others in the family.

Last year was not typical for many peony people. I had late bloomers blooming in April and a early blooming tree peony blooming in June. Normally my blooming season begins about March 27, will be late this year, and lasts until the next to last week in May. In fact I went into shock when I saw the one blooming in June.