Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur01

Finally Tolomeo's available

maifleur01
15 years ago

Received Adelman's catalog today. Carol had promised that they would have some of Irene Tolomeo's intersectionals this year. They have six listed in the catalog. Although I do not collect intersectionals Mrs. Tolomeo has bred some really lovely peonies. The only way you could have one of her babies was to be very lucky. The ones I have seen are very lovely.

This sounds like spam and sorta is but if you collect intersectionals this is for you. You know who you are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adelman Peony Gardens

Comments (6)

• minnesuing
    15 years ago

That Ballerena de Saval is beautiful. There are plenty of plants I would rip out for that! Maifleur, when do you think the prices of intersectionals will come down?

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some intersectionals are coming down since Plantek is doing tissue cultures of some of the favorites. One thing about intersectionals that many do not know is to keep the plants vigorus they need to be divided at least every three years. Most provide many divisions when split. Some may never come down because only a few plants are out there.

Another thing about some of the intersectionals is that they throw sports frequently. The pictures of the sports that I have seen are actually better than the original. But the drawback of sporting is that most people want the plant they order not a plant with one yellow and one beautiful dark lavender. So growers, not Plantek who grows in tubes, must plant the division and wait until the plant blooms. This is another reason that these are more expensive. No tossing in the ground and spliting in a year or so. I personally believe that there is a chemical released by the plants which triggers the change. I do not believe the chemical is continually active but may have something to do with insect bites injecting juices into the plant. Several of the report of sporting came with the information that the previous year(s) had bad bug infestations. I am probably wrong but I will just have to wait until someone much more scientific than I can do the research.

Irene just allowed Carol to grow her plants. Since Irene is in her 80's but still has a breeding program several others may be available.

• minnesuing
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information regarding intersectionals. I didn't know that they had that problem with sports. It certainly explains why it is difficult to increase the number of plants quickly and inexpensively. Very interesting. Hopefully, some university will solve the mystery.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    15 years ago

Maifleur, thank you for that great info on the intersectionals. I didn't realize they need to be divided fairly regularly. They really are beautiful.

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very beautiful but so far only one possible viable seed. Most seem to be sterile for breeding purposes. Of course someone,somewhere will produce live plants using intersectionals as parents. Which is how after trying for years to cross tree and herbaceous plants together intersectionals came to us.

• yugoslava
    15 years ago

I looked at the catalogue and am speechless. Something to covet.