Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desperate for Peonies in Texas

Posted by vuwugarden Central TX 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 15:29

I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden, but do not know if they will do well this far south.

Can peonies be grown in Zone 8b, in alkaline soil? Are there any secrets that I should know to promote blooms?

Thank you in advance for answering my post.

In the meantime, I will continue to dream about peonies in the garden...

Audrey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desperate for Peonies in Texas

Zones can be misleading. I grow lots of peonies here and if zones were all we needed you could do well with them. Call you local county extension service and ask the average number of cooling hours for where you live. Generally anything over 400 hours and your peonies will do well if you are careful to plant them high in the soil so the buds for next years stems are exposed to air temperatures and not insulated by the soil. Your peonies should bloom consistently ONCE ESTABLISHED which can take up to three years. If you dig compost into your soil before planting and regularly top dress seasonally with compost your soil should not be a problem. Al

o

Thanks, Al, for responding!

My peony roots should be coming in a few weeks. The recommended time to plant peonies is Fall, so should I plant my shipment of peony roots now or save them for Fall planting?

Thanks for the tips....I will also call my extension office today too.

Happy Spring to all!

Audrey

o

If your peonies are shipped bare root divisions, I would pot them up and plant them in the fall. If you are getting peonies rooted in pots from four inch pots to one gallon size I would plant them in the garden when received. Your summer sun may be a little strong for plants just out of a greenhouse, and I would provide some shade from midday sun. Al

o

I grown a few in Northern California too. I'm near the CA Central Valley so I have 100 degree days in the summer. They really need afternoon shade in that heat. The best recommendation I got was to plant early blooming ones. That way when they bloom our real heat hasn't hit yet. So far, it works for me. I bought both of mine potted so they weren't very young. Some bloom 1st year, good bloom last year in their second year. They're just now putting their noses out of the ground for this year. I'm thinking of adding a third. My best one is Bowl of Beauty.

o

Audrey

I am in Zone 8b in alkaline soil in central CA. I just posted a long message on the thread "peonies for the South "

I totally agree the comment posted by rosecorgis.
My personal favorite is Coral Charm.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here