Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dronaria

Best peony cultivars for cut flowers???

dronaria
19 years ago

Hi all. I'm new to this forum, but can't wait to jump in (and with a long message to start out with)!!!

I'm installing a large planting of peonies this fall for cut flowers. I've been "researching" the best cultivars. My selection criteria has been: 1) fragrance, 2) variety of flower color and flower forms, 3) various bloom times to prolong the season, 4) strong stems, and 5) appear to be standards in cut flower industry.

I wanted to post my "short list" and get any input you may have regarding my selections. I'd love to hear if there are any on the list you would consider "dogs" or any "must haves" that you think I've missed.

Thanks!!!

Here's the list:

Bowl of Beauty

Coral Charm

Doreen

Duchess de Nemours

Edulis Superba

Felix Crousse

Festiva Maxima

Flame

Karl Rosenfield

Krinkled White

Lady Alexandra Duff

Mme. Emile Debatene

Mons. Jules Elie

Red Charm

Sarah Bernhardt

Sorbet

Sword Dance

THANK YOU ALL...!

Comments (8)

• Kathys999
    19 years ago

I can vouch for Sarah Bernhardt and the Festiva, I cut them for inside the house each spring and they scent up the whole room. (mostly Sarah's scent) THe rest I have are too new to bloom. Your list looks like what I have... Flame, Karl Rosenfeld, Krinkle White, Mmme Jules Elie, Sarah, Sorbet, Sword Dance, Festiva, Doreen, Felix Crousse, and Sorbet and Bowl of Beauty. :)

• ego45
    19 years ago

Re: Duchess de Nemours.
    This particular peony tolerates less than full sun position very easy. I have a hedge consisting of DdN (O) and Goldflame sprea (X) planted in such way O-X-O-X-O-X-O.
    Lighting transitionally changes from one side of hedge to another from full sun to part-shade and part-shade DdN bloom later, but longer than the full sun DdN.
    My point is that position could change time and longevity of blooms. I think Sarah Bernardt has the same characteristics.

• dronaria
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the input! Can't wait to start planting...:)

• PHILinShelton
    18 years ago

How about Bridal Showers? Anyone have any experience longevity in the vase?

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    18 years ago

Add to your list the white Moon over Barrington. The fragrance is spicy.

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

Dronaria:

As the result of Jazzmom516's recommendation, a little research & viewing of photographs of "Moon Over Barrington", I've decided to add this peony to my garden this fall.

I thought that I might go for another "Florence Nicholls" from A & D Nursery, but I was intrigued with the spicy frangrance as well as the "Moon's" photograph which can be seen at this link:

http://www.adpeonies.com/peonies/moonobarrington.jpg

FYI - I am more than well pleased with the roostock that they shipped me on my previous orders and especially with the special Japanese fertilizer tablets that they also included. The four previously ordered peonies were well packaged with just the right amount of moisture for transportation and short storge (until I could get them into the ground).

Thanks - again - "Jazzmom516" for your recommendation!

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: A & D Nursery

• Laisan
    18 years ago

Like kathys999, Sarah and Festiva have done well for me. Incredible fragrance and beautiful bloom/shape with good vase life. The stems were sturdy, maybe a little short, but I didn't have the guts to cut too much foliage.

I'd have to say that Karl smells "chemical-ish" to my nose and has a harsh magenta quality to it. I'm thinking compost bin if he doesn't put out in his new location.

Laisan

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

Laisan:

If you're really considering heading Karl Rosenfield to the compost bin, let me know. I might be interested in adding him to my own garden or a friends.

Bill

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services