Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Peonies?

Posted by plantlover_2008 zone 5 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 08 at 16:46

I bought my Mother's house when She passed away. She had some BEAUTIFUL peonies that bloomed Burgandy. She called them japanese peonies. We had to transplant them to extend our deck and I lost them. They were Mom's favorite plant in the yard and I am trying depretely to replace it. Does anyone know where I can locate one? I am SICK!!!

Thanks,
Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Peonies?

check out truepeony.com
King of Flowers might be what you are looking for, or Shikoden or Taiyo.

o

Thanks so much for your response. The leaves were almost fern-like. They were small and feathery. I don't know if that is making sense or not. lol. I can't seem to find it. From looking at different pics it also had to be a double bloom plant.

Again, thank you for responding!

Connie

o

Connie, take a look at Paeonia tenuifolia (fernleaf Peony) (you can see pictures on the right side of the page. Is this what you are looking for? If so, Klem's has plenty of them for sale.

o

Oh, alina 1...

That is it!!!!! Thank you so much for finding the pic! I looked on Klem's and I could only find the single bloom. She had the double. I will continue to look. I believe (according to that pic) it is called Rubra Flora Plena. You have helped so much. Awesome!

Connie

o

You are very welcome Connie! Sorry, I did not notice that you wanted double. Check out A & D Nursery and Peony Garden web sites. They both have P. tenuifolia Rubra Plena. The fernleaf Peonies are rather expensive, but do not buy them from Spring Hill and other vendors that are not reputable: there is a big possibility that Peonies from them will not be true to name.
You can find other Peony sellers here.
Good luck!

o

alina 1
YOU ARE THE BEST!!! If you only knew how much your help means to me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I also appreciate your advise on the nurseries. I am not familiar with the vendors and I am sure you have saved my from a headache. You are very informative.

Connie

o

Connie, thanks for the kind words!

o

hiddenspringsflowerfarm.com
has double red fernleafs for sale.
Also, other species and species hybrids.

o

Thank you for the info, daveinohio! You have helped me find a 2nd Nursery that supplies them. I so much appreciate you and alina_1 for the research and help you have given me. It is so nice to have wonderful people like you two on this site.

Connie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here