Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Peonie shouts

Posted by rookiegardener z5IN (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 16:51

My tree peonies have several side shouts just starting out of the ground. Should I let them grow or trim them back to the ground. The shouts are about 2 inches.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Peonie shouts

If they are coming from the ground, chances are they may be coming from a herbaceous peony that the tree peony was grafted to and should be cut back.

o

Wait and see. If you planted your tree peony deep enough the roots are coming out of the tree peony and not the herbaceous root. You may be destroying all of this years bloom and growth.

o

Sorry, not sure what you mean by herbaceous root. For what it's worth, I think this tree is at least ten years old, probably older.

o

Many in fact most tree peonies are grafted on a regular nurse(herbaceous) root. If you plant the tree peony deep enough the nurse root can die leaving only the tree portion. Roots will come from the stem of the tree peony but so can new stems. As with many plants there are growth points on the peony stem, similar to the bud nodes on a regular herbaceous root, from which new top or bottom growth can come from esp if the top is damaged.

If your plant is ten years old the shoots are probably from the tree. If the leaves are not similar to your tree peony you may want to pull them up and out from the mother plant.

o

Sorry, not sure what you mean by herbaceous root.

Below is a link that describes the types of peonies and the types of blooms.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Types of peonies and blooms

o

Leave those shoots alone. You will soon be able to see what they are from the leaf shape.I want to jump for joy when I see new shoots. did you by chance prune off some old dead wood last fall? That is when mine send up new shoots. They are simply making up for old dead wood.

o

My peonies are budding up nicely this year!! Shout Shout let it all out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here