Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Top 5 favorite Itohs

No-Clue
10 years ago

I already have one tiny Peony plant so that means I might have room for 5 more.

Please share your top 5 favorite Itohs. There are so many to chose from I'm feeling overwhelmed. I just don't want to make the same mistake I did with buying plumeria. Now I have to go through the pain of letting half of my collection go due to space issues. Besides, 80 plumeria is just too much work! But letting go of my babies will be rough! ðÂÂÂ¥

Comments (7)

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

What colors do you like best, No-Clue? Do you like the ones with flares? The ones that start one color and fade to something completely different so you have multiple colors of blooms on a single plant at one time? Singles or Doubles? Really large flowers, large or smaller shrub? There are so many Itohs now that you might have to list the properties you want in the varieties you choose to narrow it down. It seems like every time I decide I have all of the varieties I want I see another picture of one that is absolutely incredible.

I have quite a few Itohs now but only 3 that have bloomed to date, Singing in the Rain, Strawberry Blonde and Berry Garcia. I'm drawn to the larger flowers so Strawberry Blonde is my favorite out of the ones I've seen in person. Bartzella seems to be an all time favorite although another PE (Peony Enthusiast!) that has both Bartzella and Yumi says Yumi is prettier.

You'll have to tell us which ones you decide on and why and please post pics when they bloom!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lizin,

I love fragrance and large flowers. I also love the double over single. And I like the more rarer varieties so the harder it is to find the more I want it! Now that's my logically side talking.

The emotional side is very impulsive. So I could walk into a nursery and walked out with a plant that has none of the criteria I listed above simply because it has buds! How did you think I ended up with 80 plumerias after two seasons? ðÂÂÂ

I'm planning to head to a nursery this afternoon now that I'm over the shock of the price tags. Let's see what I find and how much self control I have.

I will update later.

Lynn

• Heather Macdonald
    10 years ago

My alltime favorite is "Singing In The Rain",long bloomer, last year in full bloom from June 2- June 24! "Cora Louise" & "Bartzella" tie for 2nd."Going Bananas" is 3rd. I haven't had my others long enough to judge. "Julia Rose" looks like it will be a good one.
    Here's my favorite
    Heather

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no! I like that one too!! LOL Is that Singing in the Rain? I LOVE LOVE that name too!!

But so far I can't seem to find those you listed locally. I'm going to have to order them online aren't I?

OMGosh!! I just looked up Cora Louise. What a STUNNER! I love the color combo. So delicate and just simply beautiful! See this was exactly what happened w/ my plumeria. I going to be in big trouble aren't I?

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I've never noticed but have read that Itohs don't have much of a fragrance. Anyone out there sniffing the Itohs? Do any of them have a really good scent?

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Elizabeth,

I read the same thing too. Unfortunately, in my climate I can't just grow any peonies. I was told I might have a chance with the Itohs so that's what I'm trying.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

The Itihs are so pretty that I think no fragrance isn't a big issue! You can always plant something that smells really good nearby. You might go through a lot of ice next winter trying to chili the tubers but I'd go for it if I were you! Grab a few Itohs and maybe a herbaceous that others have vouched for and do it!