Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Older Peonies: To split or not to split?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

A customer of mine had me dig up and remove his peonies last fall. Every year in the spring I go and tie them together in early may or so after they've grown up, but before flowering because they fall over if thats not done when they flower.

So this last fall, he decided he wanted to get rid of the 2 peonies. They are pretty old, and one is thicker than the other, but one is about 12" wide at the ground, and the other is 18" wide at ground level. he wanted me to just throw them away, but I wasnt going to do that!

I asked if I could take them home, and he said sure, so now they have been sitting outside covered in soil since December.

When its time to plant, should they be split and separated into smaller pieces, or left like they are? I dont think they've ever been split before.

Thanks......

Comments (3)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Do you want more plants? You can divide and expand your peony plantings if you want more, or leave them as they are and just replant them whole. They don't REQUIRE dividing. Al

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Absolutely divide. Small divisions transplant better than big ones. There is no point in transplanting big clumps, applies also to old hostas.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

The only downside to divisions is the year or two delay in blooming at the new location. Usually when you dig an old peony it is impossible to get the whole root system, as the roots are very brittle. Al