Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesfleursjolies

Springhill Kirinmaru Peony

KarenPA_6b
11 years ago

I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The root is woody and the eyes are rather small but it looks healthy. This is the woodiest root of a herbaceous peony that I have ever seen. In fact, it appears that a portion of the root was sawed off rather than cut off. It will be interesting to see how this peony behaves compared to a normal tuberous root plant..

Comments (27)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Yes it looks sawed off to me too. I think it will be OK as long as you have some buds. That large woody root portion contains lots of energy to get the division off to a good start. Al

• deeter
    10 years ago

I purchased Kirinmaru in 2011 from a different company and mine looked the same as yours when it arrived. It only had two small eyes, but it did grow last Spring. I was just happy it was alive. Now I see this Spring it has three eyes that has sent up leaves.

This plant seems to be a smaller peony than my other peonies. It didn't bloom last year so I'm anxious to see if it blooms this year. Yours should do fine also.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deeter, please post a photo of the flower if it blooms this year. I sure hope yours does because I really would like to see a photo of the peony flower from a home grower rather than the ad photo. Their photo of it looks really nice

• deeter
    10 years ago

I will do that; I'm anxious to see if it's as pretty as the photo's also.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Just saw that Fina is offering Kirinmaru for fall '15. Has anyone had this one bloom in their garden?

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are you going to get it, Liz? THeir is probably the true one as their bloom looks to be striped.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Fina's roots are so nice it might be worth getting. I ordered it from Spring Hill last year but the root was relatively small, 3 eyes but not much in the way of feeder roots. Fina had a few that were on my "Wanted" list. Still trying to decide what if any to order.

Talked myself into it, just put in an order for Kirinmaru, Anemoneflora Rosea, Pink Cotton Candy and Requiem.

This post was edited by LizinElizabeth on Sat, Jan 10, 15 at 14:15

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

Just to add a note: I ordered Kirinmaru this past fall from a little-known company called ohmypeonies in Wisconsin. They grow it in their fields and it has bloomed striped for them, so the photo they show is the actual plant, and it should be true. I paid $25 plus shipping for mine. You might check out their website, it is fairly new.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vicky, thank you very much for the info. I hope your Kirinmaru will bloom next year. Please let us know how it does for you and if you have pic that would be great.

I bought my Kirinmaru from Springhill two years ago. Last year it bloomed but nothing like the picture; there was no stripes and the color was pink rather than white or red. It was also the floppiest peony in my garden. I was so disappointed. Fortunately, Springhill refunded me the money after I contacted them. I think that I will wait a few more years before I will get this peony.

• raptor1
    9 years ago

I just purchased a peony from Peonies4u.com called Shima Nishiki and the flower looks similar to the one that you mention except it's a tree variety it was recommended as an outstanding variety with really good folage. Has any of you done business with this company. Daves garden gave it a positive and the lady Marsha Reed was very helpful and informative with ALL of my questions. not much for online plant shopping BUT gave it a try any advice?

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

I ordered from them last year, very happy with the roots and service. I'd order from them again

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

If you are talking about CharMarror Peony,I would second what LinnElizabeth said, I have ordered 2-3 times, and had very good service, very personal attention with answers to my questions, and good roots, too. They have a very nice selection and fair prices.

• raptor1
    9 years ago

thanks Vicky I look fwd to receiving these plants and I will keep you posted as to their quality But I was impressed not only with the knowledge but the prices were very reasonable IMO GOD BLESS

• raptor1
    9 years ago

Just received my order from Charmarron gardens or Peonies4U. AND WOW!!! these plants are far above anything I imagined would come from an online order the plants were packed in 2 separate boxes one of tree peonies andand the other herbaceious. both were packed extremely well still moist.
    Now I just have to get them in the ground. with all of this rain it will be a chore. But II am amazed at the Quality and the size of the plants. The web sight said something like 2-3 eyes But I see none of these under 6 eyes and some with a lot more and the lady bugs were FREE LOL!!.
    I want to thank the person on this forum that posted this great supplier. I can't remember just who it is or was but this Forum has paid off big time. Thanks again to all that share their experiences and resources with many of us that are somewhat novice at online shopping But most of all the info that all share to help everyone have success with their endeavor to garden with the best GOD BLESS Thank you Charmarron Garden aka peonies4U I will be back GOD BLESS!!! Now I want Kirinmaru maybe next year LOL

• littlebin
    9 years ago

hi, raptor1, How much of the price? Charmarron gardens doesn't list prices there.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

They have a page with the prices listed separately, littlebin. Think it's under Pricing and Shipping. Most of the herbaceous are $20-$25 ea, trees are $40-$60.

This post was edited by LizinElizabeth on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 20:24

• raptor1
    9 years ago

Thanks LizinElizabeth for answering this question about the pricing which is great considering the size of the plants Their shipping date is come and gone but I had my order in the day shipping was supposed to end and Marcia Reed still honored my order thru pay pal and shipped my order out and I received it today VERY VERY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!

This post was edited by raptor1 on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 21:59

• raptor1
    9 years ago

Chateau CharMarron
    Peony Gardens under pricing ordering and shipping. Shipping stopped Jan 10 but could possible order before the next 2 weeks. MAY BE one can only ask!! you won't be disappointed !!

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Hey Kousa, do you have Winged Victory yet? I know you like the Saunders hybrids so I thought of you when I saw it. Gilbert Wild has it offered for it's spring shipping for $8. Only 2 peonies in their BOGO this time, Kansas and Krinkled White.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

Okay, this is getting stupid. I know I didn't submit twice but 2 copies of my reply was posted. Anyone else having issues or is it my computer??!!

This post was edited by LizinElizabeth on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 11:22

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Liz! Yes, I saw that and also Claudia for $6.25. I am debating whether to get them because I don't have space ready for them and I am not too keen on get them in spring. I wish they will offer them this fall.

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

The Springhill catalog I got in the mail today showed Kirinmaru peony being offered at only $8.99! Not sure what's up with that price, as the online price is $49.99...some of these companies have different prices going at the same time, but under $10 is a bargain if it grows and is true to name (and of course it is the wrong time of year to plant them, but at that price....)

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought this peony from Springhill and it did not turn out to the striped peony as pictured. I was very disappointed 2 years later. There was another GW member who bought it from Springhill a year before me and found out 3 years later that it was not as pictured. I am sorry but Springhill is not a reliable source for this peony.

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

Maybe that is why they are closing it out at such a discount.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

I'd wait until the 2nd year it blooms to be sure, some that are striped are solid or close to it first bloom year. It'll be interesting to see what the Fina, Chateau CharMaron and Oh My Peonies ones do. Will everyone who bought this variety post back to this same string with pictures when yours blooms?

Karen, if yours truly isn't Kirinmaru SpringHill should refund the price. Maybe order it from elsewhere then.

• KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think mine will have any stripes. If it was solid white or red then I would have more hope for it to turn stripey. Unfortunately, it was a light pink, not even close to this peony's colors. I did send the picture of my peony which they called kirinmaru to Springhill and to their credit, they refunded my money.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

I got one from them, too, last year. Guess I have at least another year or so until I find out what color it is.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz