Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peonybee_gw

New to peonies!

peonybee
11 years ago

Hello, peony lovers and enthusiasts. I have always loved peonies, but never thought they would do well in the sweltering heat of Southern California. Last Spring, while wandering around a local nursery, I came across the gorgeous Itoh Bartzella and just couldn't help myself. The plant was well established, leafy, and had a good 6-8 buds ready to bloom. $80 later (yes, this was the most expensive single plant purchase I have ever made!), I was the proud owner of a peony plant.

I am very limited as to in-ground planting space, so I decided to opt for a huge ceramic pot. I was worried that since the peony prefers to be in-ground, that it would not do well. However, lo-and-behold, my peony plant has sprouted and the shoots with leaves are already almost a foot tall!

I am itching to go purchase another peony to my potted garden. The $80-$100 price tag on peonies at my nursery is a little steep (they only carry the itoh kind), and was thinking of ordering a bare root plant online. Hmm... decisions... anyone have any advice as to which online nurseries offer the best quality bare roots?

I have attached a picture of my blooms from last year. Can't wait for the lovely flowers to bloom again this year.

Comments (3)

• KarenPA_6b
    11 years ago

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I love peonies too. Your Bartzella is gorgeous. I hope mine will bloom this year as it was planted bareroot last fall. I bought mine from Solaris Farms in Wisconsin and their plants are big size and healthy.

• casey1gw
    11 years ago

I just ordered from Vermont Wildflower Farm. They have several at $28. on sale this weekend. They got very good reviews.

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up about Vermont Wildflower Farm, casey1. I just ordered 3 Itohs and 2 tree peonies for less than the price I've found on-line for 2 Itohs. Hope they're nice!
    Peonybee--I share your excitement about these plants. I first saw them in Korea when I was stationed there in the military, never saw one growing up in TX. Bought my first one 17 years ago when we bought our 1st house and was hooked from then on. I think I have around 90 varieties now.....

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?