Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peonybee_gw

New to peonies!

peonybee
11 years ago

Hello, peony lovers and enthusiasts. I have always loved peonies, but never thought they would do well in the sweltering heat of Southern California. Last Spring, while wandering around a local nursery, I came across the gorgeous Itoh Bartzella and just couldn't help myself. The plant was well established, leafy, and had a good 6-8 buds ready to bloom. $80 later (yes, this was the most expensive single plant purchase I have ever made!), I was the proud owner of a peony plant.

I am very limited as to in-ground planting space, so I decided to opt for a huge ceramic pot. I was worried that since the peony prefers to be in-ground, that it would not do well. However, lo-and-behold, my peony plant has sprouted and the shoots with leaves are already almost a foot tall!

I am itching to go purchase another peony to my potted garden. The $80-$100 price tag on peonies at my nursery is a little steep (they only carry the itoh kind), and was thinking of ordering a bare root plant online. Hmm... decisions... anyone have any advice as to which online nurseries offer the best quality bare roots?

I have attached a picture of my blooms from last year. Can't wait for the lovely flowers to bloom again this year.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21