Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to peonies!

Posted by peonybee 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 19:28

Hello, peony lovers and enthusiasts. I have always loved peonies, but never thought they would do well in the sweltering heat of Southern California. Last Spring, while wandering around a local nursery, I came across the gorgeous Itoh Bartzella and just couldn't help myself. The plant was well established, leafy, and had a good 6-8 buds ready to bloom. $80 later (yes, this was the most expensive single plant purchase I have ever made!), I was the proud owner of a peony plant.

I am very limited as to in-ground planting space, so I decided to opt for a huge ceramic pot. I was worried that since the peony prefers to be in-ground, that it would not do well. However, lo-and-behold, my peony plant has sprouted and the shoots with leaves are already almost a foot tall!

I am itching to go purchase another peony to my potted garden. The $80-$100 price tag on peonies at my nursery is a little steep (they only carry the itoh kind), and was thinking of ordering a bare root plant online. Hmm... decisions... anyone have any advice as to which online nurseries offer the best quality bare roots?

I have attached a picture of my blooms from last year. Can't wait for the lovely flowers to bloom again this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to peonies!

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I love peonies too. Your Bartzella is gorgeous. I hope mine will bloom this year as it was planted bareroot last fall. I bought mine from Solaris Farms in Wisconsin and their plants are big size and healthy.

o

I just ordered from Vermont Wildflower Farm. They have several at $28. on sale this weekend. They got very good reviews.

o

Thanks for the heads-up about Vermont Wildflower Farm, casey1. I just ordered 3 Itohs and 2 tree peonies for less than the price I've found on-line for 2 Itohs. Hope they're nice!
Peonybee--I share your excitement about these plants. I first saw them in Korea when I was stationed there in the military, never saw one growing up in TX. Bought my first one 17 years ago when we bought our 1st house and was hooked from then on. I think I have around 90 varieties now.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here