Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_mr_dj

peony emergency

hey_mr_dj
10 years ago

I just transplanted one of my peonies out of its pot and into my yard.

why? because my dad threw it away thinking it wasn't worth keeping and planted a pear branch in it's place.

I bought the peony a year ago, leaving it in the pot because everywhere I read said to replant in the fall when its dormant. But now that it's almost spring and a whole bunch of leaves have started growing, I was thrown into the predicament and forced to plant it in the middle of February to save it.

Now I ask. Will my peony thank me for my kind gesture and still grow strong for me, or will my peony give me the finger, pout, and shrivel? Is there any way i could have made the transition better, if it was even possible with this happenstance? Am I just worried too much because it's the first time I've tried to growing a peony? Will it give me signs that it hates me because of this in the future?

thank you for reading and the help.

Comments (4)

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I think your peony will be fine. I've had to move them in spring after a lot of growth and the plant wilted for a short period then started growing again. I'm in a much colder zone than you're in but you putting one in the ground in March should be comparable to me moving one in May/June....Just make sure you don't plant it too deep. You'll probably get a response from one of the CA members, too! Good luck and enjoy your peony!

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

I am sorry to hear that this happened to your peony. It would help the peony a lot if you can provide it with some shade and mulch at this time while it is under stress esp. if the weather is hot where you are. Liz is right - your peony will be fine provided that it does not get wet feet where you plant it.

• Heather Macdonald
    10 years ago

You don't have to worry about planting potted peonies,
    the roots aren't disturbed, so they can be planted any time. Only transplanting has to be done in the fall.
    Planting in March, lucky you!! Still snow here!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Where you live you can plant your peonies anytime. Your main concern should be lack of sufficient winter chilling. Your buds should always be visible, not buried, as you will need to get your winter chilling from air temperature as your soil temperature will not be cold enough. Your peony will grow lots of foliage, just no flowers. Pick the sunniest spot in your garden for your peony. Al

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?