Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deer mulled my peony

Posted by lynnichols z5 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 20:17

Ok, so I don't really know anything about Peonies but found myself owning a small plant. I planted it early summer and while it did fine, it didn't grow or bloom. Its small-medium sized. In fall, the deer ate a good chunk of it and throughout the winter they finished it off. There is currently about 3-4 branches remaining sticking up from the ground about 4-5 inches. Is this plant doomed or can it survive a deer mulling like this? Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deer mulled my peony

I'd assume that the 4-5" branches remaining are the dead stalks from last season, which could've been cut way back last fall anyway. There 'should' be no problem with it returning. If you look closely at the base, or carefully scoop away any mulch, you should see some dark pink finger tip like growth.

Scoot the mulch back after checking it out.

Sue

o

I live in the woods with lots of deer and have never had them even sample my peonies. Are they eating your other plants? Al

o

They are eating ALL of my plants. It was a bad year for my hostas, my smaller younger trees and even some of my barberry. Deer resistant plants are not so in my yard. Thanks for the help!

o

Are your plants tree peonies or herbaceous peonies? When you said branches in the original post, it made me think of tree peonies. I have heard of them eating tree peonies before, but they usually don't bother the herbaceous ones.

o

It seems obvious that deer hungry enough will eat anything not poisonous. In my opinion you will have to fence them out if you are to garden where you are. A large dog left out at night is effective but usually also requires a fence. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here