Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
festiva maxima division

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 5, 09 at 20:30

I have grown only a few peonies so this is probably a newbie question. I bought four peony divisions at costco today, 2 festiva maxima and 2 buckeye belle. The buckeye belle divisions look like normal herbaceous divisions, eyes and then whole bunch of finger shaped fat roots attached to the crown. The festiva maxima though not only have tiny little eyes in comparison they also have just 1 big piece of root. It almost looks like a piece of ginseng if you have seen it with some eyes at one end. Is this normal? Thanks for the help!.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: festiva maxima division

Normal yes. Different types are divided differently, or were divided by two suppliers who divide depending on how their roots look.

o

Whenever Costco has peonies I don't already have I will buy a box. Sometimes half in the box will be duplicates of plants I am already growing. I pot them all up and grow them till fall. Those I want to add to my garden are then planted and the others I leave in their pot until next spring when I will donate them to a garden club plant sale. Al

o

calistoga, do they bloom the first year? By the look of the divisions, I am not sure these would actually do much the first year.

o

Ikea they will not bloom this year and probably not next year either. Peonies are for the long haul and will be blooming fifty years, but not the first couple. If I dig an established peony in the fall, I can get substantial divisions with large root storage tubers that will bloom the next spring, but such divisions are difficult to find for sale. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here