Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loretta5_gw

Peony Bartzella at Lowes

loretta5_gw
10 years ago

Yesterday while shopping at Lowes in Plymouth Meeting, I saw bags of Peony Bartzella priced at $29.99. They might have some at your Lowes also. Check it out.

Comments (9)

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Loretta, did you see any other varieties?

• timhensley
    10 years ago

I found Bartzella there last year and bought it. It had 6 eyes on it.Not huge but it looked great. I am hopefull for this year if spring ever arrives. I also found Cora Louise at Home Depot this week. I went through the packages to make sure they were in good shape and picked one out with 5 eyes. Again it won't be big this year but i can wait. They also had Julia Rose or at least i think that was the name. I'll check back next week and see what I can find.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

How much were the itohs at Home Depot? I am looking for Julia Rose.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Are these trees or bulbs? If so how long will it take before they are big enough to bloom?

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

It should bloom the next spring if conditions are right.

• timhensley
    10 years ago

They were 29.99.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Hi No-Clue, Itohs like Bartzella are a hybrid of tree and herbaceous peonies. When they're sold as bare roots they look very similar to herbaceous, there might be a bit of a woody stem attached, though. If there is any woody stem you'll probably see growth from below the ground and from the stem. I hear they don't die down to the ground like herbaceous in some zones, here in CO they do, or at least all of the ones I have that are older than a year have so far. They are absolutely beautiful, most seem to start out one color and fade to something else, large blooms and more exotic looking foliage than most herbaceous. Several have been around long enough to be relatively inexpensive like the $29.99 bagged ones from Lowes, some of the newer ones are still hundreds of dollars. You can tell from the number of eyes on the root if a new plant will have a chance of blooming the following spring, 3-5 eyes or more is most likely going to. Smaller divisions can be a couple of years. My first ones were so tiny they took 5 years to bloom.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

I was thrilled to find Bartzella at my local Lowes today, but it wasn't bagged...it was a lovely, filled out 3gal plant with 9 eyes and four buds already set. It was the fastest $30 I ever dropped. :)

• nmay
    10 years ago

Wow, nice find. You must have been quite pleased with that. Haven't had any luck finding intersectionals at Lowe's up north here in Alberta, Canada, but I'm hoping this year is the year I find 'em.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida