Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony Bartzella at Lowes

Posted by loretta5 Z6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 21:04

Yesterday while shopping at Lowes in Plymouth Meeting, I saw bags of Peony Bartzella priced at $29.99. They might have some at your Lowes also. Check it out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony Bartzella at Lowes

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 21:06

Loretta, did you see any other varieties?

o

I found Bartzella there last year and bought it. It had 6 eyes on it.Not huge but it looked great. I am hopefull for this year if spring ever arrives. I also found Cora Louise at Home Depot this week. I went through the packages to make sure they were in good shape and picked one out with 5 eyes. Again it won't be big this year but i can wait. They also had Julia Rose or at least i think that was the name. I'll check back next week and see what I can find.

o

Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 14:58

How much were the itohs at Home Depot? I am looking for Julia Rose.

o

Are these trees or bulbs? If so how long will it take before they are big enough to bloom?

o

Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 19:05

It should bloom the next spring if conditions are right.

o

They were 29.99.

o

Hi No-Clue, Itohs like Bartzella are a hybrid of tree and herbaceous peonies. When they're sold as bare roots they look very similar to herbaceous, there might be a bit of a woody stem attached, though. If there is any woody stem you'll probably see growth from below the ground and from the stem. I hear they don't die down to the ground like herbaceous in some zones, here in CO they do, or at least all of the ones I have that are older than a year have so far. They are absolutely beautiful, most seem to start out one color and fade to something else, large blooms and more exotic looking foliage than most herbaceous. Several have been around long enough to be relatively inexpensive like the $29.99 bagged ones from Lowes, some of the newer ones are still hundreds of dollars. You can tell from the number of eyes on the root if a new plant will have a chance of blooming the following spring, 3-5 eyes or more is most likely going to. Smaller divisions can be a couple of years. My first ones were so tiny they took 5 years to bloom.

o

I was thrilled to find Bartzella at my local Lowes today, but it wasn't bagged...it was a lovely, filled out 3gal plant with 9 eyes and four buds already set. It was the fastest $30 I ever dropped. :)

o

Wow, nice find. You must have been quite pleased with that. Haven't had any luck finding intersectionals at Lowe's up north here in Alberta, Canada, but I'm hoping this year is the year I find 'em.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here