Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouted root - what to do? (Peony newbie here)

Posted by alina_1 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 07 at 22:01

Hello everyone,
I bought some really nice Peony varieties at the local Costco. All roots have 4-5 eyes instead of 2-3 as it's written on the package. Some of them, however, have sprouts up to 5" long. The sprouts are pinkish and look anemic. Is it a bad thing? Should I pinch them? Please advise!
TIA
Alina.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouted root - what to do? (Peony newbie here)

Plant them. The sprouts are this years leaves. If you pinch them you will lose most of the growth. If you can not dig in your soil plant in pot until soil is soft enough to dig. Provide some protection for the sprouts since most will be mostly above ground such as leaves or straw until the end of March.

o
RE: Sprouted root - what to do? (Peony newbie here)

Thank you, Maifleur, for the prompt reply and for the advice!
Happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here