Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TP & black walnut trees;ok or nix it

Posted by ccckoball z 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 23:05

Any sage advice out there for whether Tree Peonies and herbaceous peonies are immune to the juglone kicked out by black walnut trees? My tree is large. I have many other peonies,mostly herbaceous,but also about 1/2 doz. TP in my garden further away from tree. Old rhodies by tree are starting to kick the bucket..I'd like to replace them with tree peonies,but...hmmmm..lots of $$ if it's just peonicide. Any knowlege or experience is handy. -Googled juglone & didn't get any specifics on TPs. Thanks. ccckoball

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TP & black walnut trees;ok or nix it

To clarify; the info I found on blk walnut trees and peonies was inconclusive because 'peony' was listed on some sites as being juglone tolerant, while on other sites was listed as juglone sensitive. No sites that I ran accross gave specifics as to type or names varieties, so I am left uninformed as to which varieties were demonstrated with, and whether any included tree peony types, or focused on herbaceous peony species. -anyone to help? specific named varieties? I've trimmed off some of the BW limbs to increase the light, as the rhodies are displaying some spindly growth. ccckoball

o

I have herbaceous peony and tree peony under black walnut trees. They seem to do fine. Now, given that, I doubt that I would buy an expensive tree peony and plant it under a black walnut tree, cause, sure has heck, it would die. But since these tree peonies were $4.00 cheapies, they are thriving and bloom. Same with the herbaceous. I think the most problems peonies have under any tree is competition for water. My .02. :)

Diann
IA Z5a

o

I would not even chance planting peonies anywhere near a black walnut. (iris do fine around them though)

o

FWIW, I have two herbacious "Moon of Nippon" peonies coming along nicely within the dripline of a black walnut tree. They are not directly beneath the tree, but 5-7' from the trunk. Each plant is a couple of years old and has a couple of buds ready to burst, which is pretty much what I was told to expect for such young plants. There is another (unknown) variety of herbecious peony right next to them that is temperamental. Last year, a couple of blooms. This year, a couple of pea-size buds that aren't growing. Who knows why ? [shrug]

Bah. Walnut trees. I feel your pain. :/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here