Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Add A Little Dirt Each Year?

Posted by AnnaA none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 23:38

Hello All,
About 3 years ago I planted a peony garden - 12 plants. Most are doubling each year, while a couple look like they may not make it another year - but that's a story for another day.

The garden was placed in a new raised bed part of the yard, filled with loose garden bed mix. Each peony was circled with a barrier. The dirt has since settled, and I've added more compost / garden mix over the years, being careful to not add dirt to the peonies for fear I'd inhibit their blooming.

The peonies now sit so much lower than the surrounding area. I'd really like to raise the dirt level without lifting the plant or smothering it. If I added a little bit each year, say an inch, might the plant acclimate?

Thanks for your advice. (I forget my zone - Portland, Oregon.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Add A Little Dirt Each Year?

No I think your peonies will stop blooming as they get deeper in the soil. The depth of the soil over the crown of the plant will cause blooming to cease. I am having the same problem with too much soil cover and this year I am removing some of the surrounding soil, then washing away the soil directly on the plant. Next year I may have to raise the plants, a big job causing a lot of root breakage, we will see. Al

o
RE: Can I Add A Little Dirt Each Year?

Thank you calistoga, I thought so.

For now I will just keep them protected from the rising soil levels around them. I too do not look forward to raising them, especially when I think they are just hitting their stride.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here