Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
divamum_gw

Transplanted peony depth

divamum
15 years ago

I'm usually found in the roses forum, but my neighbour split a bunch of peonies today and had so many that she left five of them for me on my porch!

Reading up on peonies, I realise that this isn't really the ideal time for them to be moved, but one doesn't look a gift peony in the mouth (as it were) so I put them in the ground today.

They all had spring growth, so I planted them with that above ground (roughly the same apparent depth as my existing peonies, which were purchased from the local nursery, planted in fall 2007 and bloomed nicely last spring) - does that count as the right depth for the eyes? I couldn't really tell where the eyes were other than presumably that's what turns into the stalks... isn't it?

Suggestions? I put them in with lots of compost as well as the native soil still they left with them, and watered them iin. Anything else I should do? Suggestions for better assessing the correct depth? Can I adjust them tomorrow if your expert opinions suggest I haven't done this in the best way for them?

Many thanks for your assistance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting