Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherry67_gw

Crayfish in my Peony bed?!?

cherry67
10 years ago

Tonight we had a lot of rain(again) and while walking our dog I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye...At first it looked like a scorpion which we don't have around here, but then I looked closer and it looked like a baby lobster. I'm guessing its a Crayfish or something similar, but we don't have any lakes for several miles should I be concerned that it's in my flower bed?!? It's like 4 inches long too! ð³

This post was edited by cherry67 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 2:39

Comments (8)

• brit5467
    10 years ago

Wow!!!! Crazy!! U don't say where u live...that may help figure it out.

Sure looks like a crab to me, but not like any we have 'round here on the Chesapeake Bay. But definitely a crab.

Do u have access to live crabs for eating purposes? Like do grocery stores sell them?

• brit5467
    10 years ago

And no, wouldn't worry, other than he will pinch u if u mess with him....lol. I think he's lost....displaced. BTW, u can pick crabs up from 'behind' (opposite side of claws) and they can't reach u to hurt u.

• TulsaRose
    10 years ago

Where are you located, Cherry? Are there any creeks nearby? A bird may have dropped it in your flowerbed. Your image looks like a crayfish...or, crawdad, as we okies refer to them. :-) They are related to lobsters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crayfish images

• cherry67
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in middle Tn about an hour or so from the Tennessee/Alabama line. Yeah, I think it's a Crayfish AKA Crawdad or Mudbug. There aren't any streams nearby that I know of and the nearest lake is probably at least a couple of miles away. I read online that they will tunnel in people's yard sometimes. I had no idea. He was just crawling up in my flower bed like he owned the place lol. Needless to say I won't be going in my flower bed with flip flops on at night any more. I thought about picking him up, but then I got too scared. haha

• brit5467
    10 years ago

I didn't know crawfish looked like that. I googled and didn't see any pics like that and we don't have em around here....so I learned something new (didn't find any crabs that looked like that either...lol).

• canadiyank
    10 years ago

So strange! Definitely a crayfish. We used to have one for a pet. Tasty eating, too, I hear, but I have never tried it.

• cherry67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I never would have imagined finding something so odd in my flower bed lol. If I'm ever in Louisiana I may try them(I hear they are a specialty there), but I won't be eating any straight out of the front yard. ðÂÂÂ

• maifleur01
    9 years ago

Look for a hole in the area with what appears pills of mud at the entrance. Around here we have what are called dry land crayfish. The hole is deep enough to remain moist. He will be eating all kinds of bugs and other stuff so welcome him.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living