Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanhopea

SoCal tree peonies blooming

stanhopea
14 years ago

Hi, I mostly lurk here, but with the recent posts on growing peonies in warm climates, I thought I'll show some of mine. I haven't been home recently, so most of these pictures are from last year.

This is a picture of Xiang Yu from this year.

{{gwi:528530}}
The same plant last year

Shimanishiki from last year

Flower close up. It did not have any striping.

As you may be able to tell from my first two pictures, the peonies did not grow very much. In fact, the most they grow is around two inches a year. I don't know if this is due to the lack of cold. The two I have shown have been planted for three years and both have two flowers this year. I have four other tree peonies planted at the same time that have grown but not bloomed. I also have an herbaceous rootstock peony about to bloom this year.

I live within sight of the ocean on a north facing hill, but we normally do not get more than 250 chill hours. By October or November, the leaves usually drop by themselves and show a good amount of salt damage from the water here. Tree peonies will definitely grow here, but it will take some extra care, and I don't think they will ever look as nice as those grown in cooler regions, but it's worth a try.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting