Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherry67_gw

help!!! bartzella in a bag becoming "bartzilla"

cherry67
10 years ago

I bought a Bartzella Itoh from Lowes last week and it looks like the eyes are already producing stems inside the bag?!? And is it just me or are they growing upside down? How do I plant this thing? I ony have experience planting herbaceous peonies and thought planting them would be similar, but wasn't prepared for this thing to be sprouting up inside the bag! How far should I plant it, should I leave the tentacles exposed above the soil, should I plant it with the eyes down since it looks like those are the roots at the top of the bag? I'm so lost, please someone help...I need to get this thing in the ground SOON.

This post was edited by cherry67 on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 1:51

Comments (3)

• gardenper
    10 years ago

I sometimes choose bags that don't have visible sprouts yet so I can orient them correctly. I dislike the ones that end up growing in a wrong way because of how they were in the bag. You may invariably end up losing that stalk anyway, which looked like it was a good choice when buying.

You can put it in some pot with a light covering of soil, until it rights itself up correctly (it may still have bent stems). Or directly in the the ground for the same reason. If it's still too cold or frosty for your area, then put it in a pot in your garage or indoors.

You could also plant it on its side.

This post was edited by gardenper on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 14:07

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

The main part of the root can be horizontal just under the soil and you can slightly prop the new growth upward a bit with a piece of mulch or a small rock acting as a fulcrum. Zone 6 the root doesn't need to be very deep, just position so as many eyes as possible are pointed up. Mulch it late this fall to give a bit more winter protection, it'll be fine!

• cherry67
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your advice! I ended up planting it this evening. I attempted to on Friday, first by soaking it in a bucket of water for about 4 hrs, but when I went to dig the hole I realized that the soil was still too wet from the rain we had about 3 days before then. So I put it back in it's bag of peat moss. Tonight when I went to dig it was a little bit drier(it rained again Friday night), but still the soil was like sticky clay. I worked some compost in and planted it on it's side in a mound and covered it the best I could before watering it in. I know you shouldn't plant in wet clay soil, but the root wasn't going to last much longer in that bag. I could have potted it, but I don't make my own potting mix and have been reluctant to use any commercial mix since last time I did it stayed too moist and drew gnats. I hope it lives...I know we are going to have a frost Tuesday night....